Discuss strict sites in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
has anyone worked on really strict sites

im currently testing on the largest site ive ever worked on in Runcorn, where 'whistleblowers' are rewarded with offers of flat screen tellies, meal vouchers etc. There's been 2 strikes so far...

has anyone worked on really strict sites

im currently testing on the largest site ive ever worked on in Runcorn, where 'whistleblowers' are rewarded with offers of flat screen tellies, meal vouchers etc. There's been 2 strikes so far...
depends on what you mean by really strict sites.

im guessing the usual, gloves,glasses,hardhat etc.

no steps,ladders etc and permits for everything inc going for a $hit

Plenty in years gone by. One in scouseland.....that strict half me scaffold went missing....:hump: strict on everything bar thieves.

I worked on the Channel tunnel and that was strict in the H&S manner that shanky above reflects on. You could/would be faced with instant dismissal for not wearing glasses ect. There was also £1000+ rewards on offer for information leading to the sacking of personell who were found to be indulging in sabotage.....which was quite rife for a time down there due to the wages being good and nobody wanting it to end lol. Personally I just kept my nose clean glasses on and head down and got on with my job...let the managers manage.

thats it, hard hat gloves and glasses. permits for everything, rams, 4 hour induction, spot checks every day, no stanley knives, no steps-podiums only, no radios, no food or drink, long-sleeved clothing at all times, no jewellery.
the job itself is brilliant, i love it. the rules are a bit crazy though!

thats it, hard hat gloves and glasses. permits for everything, rams, 4 hour induction, spot checks every day, no stanley knives, no steps-podiums only, no radios, no food or drink, long-sleeved clothing at all times, no jewellery.
no problem for me, i dont use any stanley tools XD

surely an electricians knife is more dangerous?

it has only taken me 5-10mins to sharpen a folding knife through

dmt,1k,4k then 8k 8k= razor sharp e.g. i would shave with it

Last edited:

no way would i tolerate miserable & inflexible working conditions such as these for 5 seconds , the moneys irrelevent.

Thats what happens when the bigger contractors of the UK embrace the over zealous H&S mantra.

in fact i've quit jobs with a more relaxed atmosphere than that.

also no phones on site. no exceptions
and as of next week when im live testing, its rubber mat, permist to test live, insulated gauntlets, safe isolation supervised by H&S, barriers, no lone working. im a bag of nerves! then there's the red card system: yellow card = warning, another yellow card= 3 month site ban, red card= permanent ban. and a few have been banned already!

and as of next week when im live testing, its rubber mat, permist to test live, insulated gauntlets, safe isolation supervised by H&S, barriers, no lone working. im a bag of nerves! then there's the red card system: yellow card = warning, another yellow card= 3 month site ban, red card= permanent ban. and a few have been banned already!

in other words , 2 hours of prep for a 10 second earth loop test........

the worlds gone f******* mad lol

i wouldnt work there.

why do you need insulated gauntlets to test?

we had that but because of where it was fed from we enjoyed telling them we would have to isolate the whole site XD.

one of the jobs we are working on will be a right laugh soon.

ok old system ripped out and new installed off new bms panel, patients transfered to the finished isolation rooms, phase 2 rip out old and then install into running bms panel with patients in isolation ward fed from panel.

how do you test and commision the system?

we are not allowed in the wards till patients have been removed and the rooms have been sterilised with hydrogen peroxcide etc

And the REAL cost of all these draconian rules?? (and in many cases unofficial ones at that) ...Probably 3 times that of a standard H&S ruled project. Someone, somewhere, somehow is making a wedge, ...of that i am certain!! lol!!

only strict site i been on involved smart young ladies in basques, bradishing whips.

PPE is supposed to be a last resort to be taken when hazards cannot be removed. Instead, it's used stupidly. Baileys a few years back had a policy that gloves were to be worn at all times but because it's tricky to terminate cables with gloves on we could cut the fingers out of them.
So what the hell was the point of the gloves?

old school sparks didn't need this sort of shyte. you knew the hazards and dealt with them accordingly, not blindly following the rules laid down by some suit/jobsworth who knew less about electrical installations than my dog.

H & S has its place in big building sites. We are all so anti-rules and sit back and mutter the worlds gone mad ect BUT why are we (construction) still the biggest killer from accidents at work ? Because H & S is not being implemented properly. It's put there to try to ensure you go home at night. Too many "in the good old days" types forget that deaths on construction sites were much higher than before H & S became involved. I have walked off site where I felt H & S is not up to scratch and too my liking.
Yes there are little Hitler's about....but they are not all H & S inspectors lol some are managers and owners/clients. We/you are there to do a job. If a 10 min job takes you 2 hours due to extra safety measures required by the site then do it....It's not your cash. The job will have been priced accordingly.
I am no company hero lol. It wont say on my headstone "Ol dave went that extra mile...." Balls to that.
As an aside the Glasses at the Channel Tunnel were like Michael Kane specs...to stop the sand getting in your eyes due to sudden gusts from the coast blowing sand into people on sites eyes. Apparently quite a few people had gotten eye problems due to this and the H & S response was permanent wearing of these plastic specs.....You know what ? It bloody worked too. They also had the safety record board at main entrance to boast about how many days since last death ect.....As annoying as it was I think overall it was pretty effective down there for its time.

Diddy, I don't think anyone really objects to sensible, properly applied H&S rules but it has become an industry in it's own right. Populated usually, by people who have never done any construction work but who get the right to dictate working practices to people who have often got decades of experience.
I've been on many sites where the wearing of a hi viz vest has been mandatory, it is on most now as I understand things, but what is the point of wearing one indoors?
Similarly with hard hats, what is the point of wearing one indoors? If the building collapses then those few millimetres of plastic balanced on your head is not going to save your life.

Reply to strict sites in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net