Search the forum,

Discuss String in SWA cables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Stroppy

Here's a question: What is the purpose of the length of string found in the middle of larger CSA SWA cables? Strain relief when pulling the cable, or something else?

How large are you talking?

There was string in the SWA I've just done but it was only small 5 core 10mm .... I used it to strip the rather stiff sheath from the cores

The bigger the cores get the bigger the hole in the middle gets, unless the cores are triangular.

I'd guess it's more to keep the shape during production than for any benefit afterwards.

all wrong. the string is the drag cord for the little tiny men to pull the conductors in with. they always pull in an extra string so they know the shortest way out from the tunnel.

it is indeed a filler,it has only 2 purposes in life one is to help maintain the shape of the overall cable and the other is to get in the way when working with said cable. lol

I thought it was there to allow the gypsies to hold up there trousers after losing weight nicking copper cables and stripping it for cash?
Damn !!!

Talking about SWA cables, ...How many of you use ''breakouts'' when terminating SWA ends in external installations, wet/humid environments, or Switchboards etc?? Not many i'll wager!! lol!!

i just bung 1/2 tube of silicon in and around. keeps the spiders out as a bonus.:24:

just too difficult to get the tape to stick when everything is pi$$ wet through.

Talking about SWA cables, ...How many of you use ''breakouts'' when terminating SWA ends in external installations, wet/humid environments, or Switchboards etc?? Not many i'll wager!! lol!!

Found them very hard to get from suppliers along with larger sized CW glands and believe it or not brass nuts and bolts for the banjo's. One place in London actually suggested I wrap black insulating tape around the shroud and it would do the same job.

Found them very hard to get from suppliers along with larger sized CW glands and believe it or not brass nuts and bolts for the banjo's. One place in London actually suggested I wrap black insulating tape around the shroud and it would do the same job.

That doesn't really surprise me. lol!!

I only asked, because being mainly involved on larger projects. i haven't seen a SWA end made off without a breakout for many years now. Same goes for MV cable lug connections, they are all mastic and booted (straight or angle). whereas in the UK, i'm told the usual way is amalgamated wrapped tape enclosing the connections....

That doesn't really surprise me. lol!!

I only asked, because being mainly involved on larger projects. i haven't seen a SWA end made off without a breakout for many years now. Same goes for MV cable lug connections, they are all mastic and booted (straight or angle). whereas in the UK, i'm told the usual way is amalgamated wrapped tape enclosing the connections....

I liked the H/S boots.
But there was one job I had to do every year where I still used varnished silk tape. OK 1250V water cooled flexible cable is a bit of an odd bod.

I liked the H/S boots.
But there was one job I had to do every year where I still used varnished silk tape. OK 1250V water cooled flexible cable is a bit of an odd bod.

Agree they not only look a far more professional job, they serve many real purposes when correctly installed!! The only drawback, is having to remove them, now that can be a very mucky and sticky job and take 3 times longer to remove, than to fit them!! ...lol!!

2578777.jpg
Did any one use this type of SWA gland? For interior use only, i loved them - our local wholesaler salesman gave us a couple to try a few years ago and they were so easy to use.

I've just got that picture from google now, so obviouslly some dodgey websites are still selling them - however our wholesaler had said they have become defunct.

View attachment 16434
Did any one use this type of SWA gland? For interior use only, i loved them - our local wholesaler salesman gave us a couple to try a few years ago and they were so easy to use.

I've just got that picture from google now, so obviouslly some dodgey websites are still selling them - however our wholesaler had said they have become defunct.

No, never seen them before. But i have come across plastic SWA glands recently, that would be very handy for isolating the armouring, in say supplying a TT system from a TNC-S supply. Virtually exactly the same idea as the standard brass gland, in that they lock the armour to the gland body. Only seen them in 20 and 25mm sizes though!! Made in China!! lol!!

I’ve heard of “string theory”, you’re string earthing theory is a new one on me.

Having had a quick look at one of you’re previous posts, Using generator for Ze reading. I’m of the opinion you’re somewhat tenuous grasp of the principals of earthing and continuity has decidedly slipped.

You can't honestly expect anyone to take them comments seriouslly can you hoover? Lets just say you're actually telling the truth, what / who told you to do that in the first place? There is noway a piece of filler string is doubling-up as an earth in any cable, in any installation on any planet!

Definitley a wind-up merchant lol! Well played though hoover, you did mak me laugh.

You know what that's going to be my new apprentice joke.

Right young man get that string core sleeved green / yellow and connect it to the earth bar lol. :)

Oh I will it sure beats a long weight and tartan paint etc. I really can't wait to put this one into practice. :)

Reply to String in SWA cables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net