Discuss Sub Contract Payments in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

claret73

Hi
I posted something similar a few weeks back, but am after just a short answer to the following please:

As a Contracting Electrical Company, if you take on sub contractors be it Improvers or Electricians what are the frequency of payments? Weekly/Fortnightly or when your cash flow suits?...(& Yes! I'm still having a hard time getting paid up!)
Cheers

I've subbied before and have always been paid weekly. Now I have a few subbies working for me and pay them weekly. If I can't afford to pay them I would rather tell them and not let them work than rack up bill.
I was subbieing for one firm who paid spot on every week. Was getting paid every friday for the week before. On friday checked my balance hadn't been paid phoned offices no answer. Had a phone call from the owner at 2 saying they had gone into liquidation. 2 weeks no pay so be careful.

Cheers for your info Guys!
Well, got paid 50% after 5 weeks of waiting...they didn't seem to mind me turning up doing the work. Perhaps next time I'll have to say "See you in 4 weeks?"...

Subbing not really working for me on these payment terms & with full time still not readily available & not wanting to do Part P, based on prices from what I've heard at the Wholesalers...lokking back at a plan B. (Wait a minute! This was my plan B...)

ive been payed weekly,every 2 week and also monthly
the 2 weeks is the best
when we were being payed monthly it was a struggle. and to cap it off this company went under and took me for best part of 10k!!!!

So, conclusion seems to be (apart from working for the wrong people) a weekly, fortnight at a push...Cheers! - Anybody need an Improver?

Hey Malc, still not got round to doing those security lights for my Old Man yet!...It's on the list now it's getting dark...

I know that one only I've just come to a sticky end myself and am quite annoyed with myself, I've been subbing for a builder for a year And a half now rewiring a 7 bedroom bespoke mansion with five out Buildings and large garden lighting install,CCTV install promised ...etc in Wiltshire, I'm part p and the builder obviously needed some registered on a job like this. I've have put in a lot of hard work just me and one lad only, the builder told me he now wants me off the job as he wants to save money employing my lad and another one of his electrician wannabes to Finnish off ( now all the hard work is done) he's being awkward about paying my last invoice and handing over my last Cis statements(3 months worth !) I'm furious and could kick myself for putting all my eggs in one basket(again) :7( any body got any views as to what I could do ref: payment & cis statement , before I do something silly in anger!!! Also a question: should I get him to sign a handover notice as the job is incomplete ? Sorry there's a lot written there, needed to get it off my chest!

I know that one only I've just come to a sticky end myself and am quite annoyed with myself, I've been subbing for a builder for a year And a half now rewiring a 7 bedroom bespoke mansion with five out Buildings and large garden lighting install,CCTV install promised ...etc in Wiltshire, I'm part p and the builder obviously needed some registered on a job like this. I've have put in a lot of hard work just me and one lad only, the builder told me he now wants me off the job as he wants to save money employing my lad and another one of his electrician wannabes to Finnish off ( now all the hard work is done) he's being awkward about paying my last invoice and handing over my last Cis statements(3 months worth !) I'm furious and could kick myself for putting all my eggs in one basket(again) :7( any body got any views as to what I could do ref: payment & cis statement , before I do something silly in anger!!! Also a question: should I get him to sign a handover notice as the job is incomplete ? Sorry there's a lot written there, needed to get it off my chest!

Yeah.

Presumably you've time sheeted your work?

ALWAYS, any subcontractor, however much you trust the guys you're working for, GET YOUR HOURS SIGNED OFF WEEKLY AT MOST.

Where possible, ask for a purchase order (written or printed).

Put the onus on the "employer" to state he has taken you on to do something (specific).

Yeah, it's paperwork, but it is paperwork that safeguards you.

What your steps are in this case, are to collect together anything you have which is evidence of him asking you to do the work, especially the last bit you're having problems getting paid. Certify nothing if it is incomplete.

Once you've got that together, visit Money Claim Online and follow the steps.

Make sure you calculate for the money due, cost of admin, interest (you are entitled if the money is overdue, until the day it is paid).

As regards the CIS statements, call the helpline on 0845 366 7899 (open 8am til 8pm) and explain that he's not given you deductions statements. You'll probably find he hasn't because he's not declared what he's deducting or paying you!!! They can supply copies of any deductions statements if he has, and they'll want to talk to him if not.

You should be able to prove he's deducted from your invoice payments by marrying invoices to amounts received in your bank.

Either way, it should stick a rocket under him if it doesn't get as far as court.

Is the wannabe electrician Part P or is the builder trying to finish this under your notification and name, I think it may be worth talking to building control

Reply to Sub Contract Payments in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net