Discuss Supply cable to portacabin in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I want to install a supply to portacabin ..details as follows:
Cable distance 35m - from CU - through ceiling void - exit main building - underground for 10m to unit.
Supply at CU in main building is TN-S.
As I understand the regs - TN-S supply means I don't need to spike at portacabin??
Does the SWA need any additional protection underground (apart from marking with electrical warning tape?
Does the SWA need to be terminated at an external/internal isolator at the p/cabin, or can it be directly connected to the CU in the p/cabin?
Finally, does the supply require RCD protection at the first CU or is RCD protection at the P/cabin CU sufficient?
Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum mate.
As above. Talk to the electrician who will be testing this new circuit. I'm presuming you will want a cert for this..?

As I understand the regs - TN-S supply means I don't need to spike at portacabin??
Does the SWA need any additional protection underground (apart from marking with electrical warning tape?
Does the SWA need to be terminated at an external/internal isolator at the p/cabin, or can it be directly connected to the CU in the p/cabin?
Finally, does the supply require RCD protection at the first CU or is RCD protection at the P/cabin CU sufficient?
Thanks in advance.

As long as there are no extraneous conductive parts in the p/cabin no reason why you cannot extend TN-S. Provided CPC/Armour are calculated correctly, cable sized and adequate protection provided.

You can lay the swa directly in the ground or put it in duct.

You can put an isolator in, I'm not sure why you would want to do that as you would probably have a main switch in a small db in the p/cabin.

RCD at the cabin. calculate cable size allowing for current and volt drop. SWA can gland direct into cabin CU.get the slide rule/cackulator/tables out. i don't trust them cackulators. you can see what a slide rule is doing. not so in that digital witchcraft. mine once added up materials for fire alarm at 5+K. should have
been 3+K. almost lost the job.

Thanks in advance.

You're understanding of the regs is incorrect, the type of incoming supply does not dictate the need to establish a seperate earthing system, it is dependant on the need to bond extraneous parts in the remote building and the size of bond required.
If any main bonding is required in the portacabin such as for water, gas, steel framework etc, then this needs to be sized according to the incoming supply to the installation.
So if the main bonding for the installation needs to be 25mm then you need a minimum 25mm to the extraneous parts in the portacabin.
If the submain only needs to be 6mm cable then it may be better to set up a seperate earthing system than run an additional 25mm earth. However if the submain already includes a 25mm or greater cpc then its suitable for main bonding and a seperate earthing system may not be the better option.

If you don't know where RCDs are required then are you sure you should be designing this circuit?

I want to install a supply to portacabin ..details as follows:
Cable distance 35m - from CU - through ceiling void - exit main building - underground for 10m to unit.
Thanks in advance.
Connect directly to DB.
Swa can be protected by mcb,then-local Db Rcd protected.
Tn-s ok,minimum bond conductors 6mm if required.

You're understanding of the regs is incorrect, the type of incoming supply does not dictate the need to establish a seperate earthing system, it is dependant on the need to bond extraneous parts in the remote building and the size of bond required.
If any main bonding is required in the portacabin such as for water, gas, steel framework etc, then this needs to be sized according to the incoming supply to the installation.
So if the main bonding for the installation needs to be 25mm then you need a minimum 25mm to the extraneous parts in the portacabin.
If the submain only needs to be 6mm cable then it may be better to set up a seperate earthing system than run an additional 25mm earth. However if the submain already includes a 25mm or greater cpc then its suitable for main bonding and a seperate earthing system may not be the better option.

If you don't know where RCDs are required then are you sure you should be designing this circuit?
Exactly,Tncs not allowed though.

Multicore 90°C Armoured Thermosetting Insulated Cables
Tables Apply to: H6942XL, H6943XL, H6944XL, H6945XL, Tuff Sheath,

Voltage: 230V

Load: 14.72kW / 64A

Length: 45m

Method of Installation: Direct in ground or in ducting in ground

Cable Size: 16mm²

Connect directly to DB.
Swa can be protected by mcb,then-local Db Rcd protected.
Tn-s ok,minimum bond conductors 6mm if required.

Yes 6mm is the minimum, 25mm is usually the maximum for TNS, but without details we cannot know what size is required for this particular installation.

I’m going to be pedantic here....

Cable goes through ceiling void, then underground.

Low ceiling or very high ground outside??
Is there a vertical part of that route that hasn’t been measured?

What my esteemed colleagues are getting at, is that this job is notifiable to local council under Part P building regs. Unless you live in Scotland, where we can get away with it.

Finished my report,& yes it’s still a rogue,list of C1’s,now awaiting remedials confirmation,cheers.
For buzzlight soz

Multicore 90°C Armoured Thermosetting Insulated Cables
Tables Apply to: H6942XL, H6943XL, H6944XL, H6945XL, Tuff Sheath,

Voltage: 230V

Load: 14.72kW / 64A

Length: 45m

Method of Installation: Direct in ground or in ducting in ground

Cable Size: 16mm²

Of course, only suitable if the equipment it is being connected to is rated for 90 dec C.

Reply to Supply cable to portacabin in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock