Discuss SWA armour supply to outbuilding, what CSA cable? and Reference Method? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

At 30m the volt drop would exceed the permitted maximum though..(going by the book)....though in practice we all know 6.0mm would be perfectly OK.
yeah, but OP has used 40A for his Ib. in practice 25 - 30A would be more realistic.

Seeing your nice pic has reminded me there is a run inside the house. If there's insulation involved that may add weight to the 10mm, or a bit more care to avoid it... Just saying :)

Another thought :

55mm x 55mm Cable Guard - 2Mtr Length - Black - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CG552BK.html?ad_position=1o4&source=adwords&ad_id=45425533757&placement=&kw=&network=g&matchtype=&ad_type=pla&product_id=CG552BK&product_partition_id=174053380627&test=finalurl_v2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz5emr6-u1QIViLvtCh355guSEAQYBCABEgLg7PD_BwE

IMG_0729.JPG

Last edited:
And I still don't know why you are thinking about running 10mm armoured in conduit. The steel armour inside is there to protect the conductors. Good luck getting armoured around a bend

The point is protect the cable from damage, any damage to the sheath allows water ingress which will rot the armour and make the cable unsafe.
The steel armour is there to connect a metal object penetrating the cable to earth, if the sheath is damaged and the armour rusts then it will no longer perform this function properly.

Luck is not required, just the correct sized conduit.

And I still don't know why you are thinking about running 10mm armoured in conduit. The steel armour inside is there to protect the conductors. Good luck getting armoured around a bend

The point is protect the cable from damage, any damage to the sheath allows water ingress which will rot the armour and make the cable unsafe.
The steel armour is there to connect a metal object penetrating the cable to earth, if the sheath is damaged and the armour rusts then it will no longer perform this function properly.

Luck is not required, just the correct sized conduit.

I've just calculated this and it IS 10mm, it can't be longer than your previous measurement and be a smaller conductor!!. If your friend says it's overkill, I hope can be at the enquiry with you to explain the fire

What fire are you predicting here? 6mm SWA has a ccc of 49A single phase clipped direct at an ambient temperature of 30c which is well above the nominal current of the circuit.

What you need to do is calculate your volt drops for the distribution circuit and the final circuits based on your design currents for those circuits.
The VD on the distribution circuit will add to the VD on each final circuit giving you three values, one will be for lighting and must not exceed 3% (6.9V) the others are non lighting and must not exceed 5% (11.5V).
Select your distribution cable based on one that complies in all cases.
Check that you are not likely to exceed CCC (very unlikely) or Zs limits.
E.g. If you had 230W (1A) of lighting/extraction on a 10m final circuit, two sockets each possibly taking 10A (very variable, normally you take the In for sockets) one at 7m and one at 12m and 15A for the AC on a 10m circuit then the calcualtion coudlba as the attached diagram.
Volt drop for 3 circuits.jpg
Note you have no short circuit discrimination between the supplying MCB and the final circuits, if you are installing 2 double sockets why is it a ring, a 20A radial may be easier.

What fire are you predicting here? 6mm SWA has a ccc of 49A single phase clipped direct at an ambient temperature of 30c which is well above the nominal current of the circuit.
Ok, bad turn of phrase, I wasn't saying this would start a fire. The point I was trying to make is that if you do a calculation according to the BYB stick to what it says, dintbthen second guess it. That is your safety net. If you stay with that, then nothing should go wrong and if it does, you can always say, I followed BS 7671 to the letter and you are fully covered.

At 30m the volt drop would exceed the permitted maximum though..(going by the book)....though in practice we all know 6.0mm would be perfectly OK.
I know right this is what i've been taught from sparks i've worked with on site, "6mm does that job" but now im doing the jobs on my own i find myself questioning what I've learnt a lot more....

Reply to SWA armour supply to outbuilding, what CSA cable? and Reference Method? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net