Discuss Tails in cavity wall in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So I have a consumer unit to change, the consumer unit was in the garage but it has been converted to living accommodation years ago. The utility cupboard is on the outside wall, the consumer unit is obviously on the inside wall but near the ceiling.

The issue is when they changed the garage to living accommodation they created a second skin using breeze blocks. The tails from the utility cupboard were run in the cavity wall between the meter cupboard and the consumer unit, these tails need upgrading to 25mm plus 16mm earth.

I know just running new tails in the cavity will not provide enough protection, the cables would be less than 3m so from a DNO point of view thats fine. Its going to be hard enough to run the 25mm cables through and up the cavity wall let alone put any sort of copex to protect it, the alternative is 25mm 3 core SWA however then would need a fused isolator box in the meter box to terminate. (Can't find any sort of wiska box that would be able to make connection from tails to 25mm 3 core SWA).

Im sure I am not the first to come up against this issue so thought I would see what others thoughts were.

I don’t think it’s an issue to utilise the ‘existing’ tails set up so long as the are the correct size csa
However
If like you , they need to replace the tails I don’t think pulling up in the cavity will be acceptable practice nowadays due to lack of rcd protection

Hi - If I understand Regs 522.6.202 and 203 correctly, if the cables are more than 50mm deep from both sides and there are no metal parts in the wall then the cables do not require RCD protection. Happy to hear if I’m mistaken :) .

The only issue I feel with dragging any cable in a cavity, is damage being done to the cable unseen. Before anyone says anything, the bit coming out the end, may have missed the cavity tie etc, but the bit inside may have not.

That said, I I've pulled meter tails through a cavity over a short distance (less than metre) in flexible conduit. If it goes in freely, should be okay o_O

So I have a consumer unit to change, the consumer unit was in the garage but it has been converted to living accommodation years ago. The utility cupboard is on the outside wall, the consumer unit is obviously on the inside wall but near the ceiling.

The issue is when they changed the garage to living accommodation they created a second skin using breeze blocks. The tails from the utility cupboard were run in the cavity wall between the meter cupboard and the consumer unit, these tails need upgrading to 25mm plus 16mm earth.

I know just running new tails in the cavity will not provide enough protection, the cables would be less than 3m so from a DNO point of view thats fine. Its going to be hard enough to run the 25mm cables through and up the cavity wall let alone put any sort of copex to protect it, the alternative is 25mm 3 core SWA however then would need a fused isolator box in the meter box to terminate. (Can't find any sort of wiska box that would be able to make connection from tails to 25mm 3 core SWA).

Im sure I am not the first to come up against this issue so thought I would see what others thoughts were.
if tails are 16mm, i'd leave them alone (apart from connecting up to your new CU.). tin hat on.

Its TN-C-S with 100amp cutout fuse (Although might only be a 60 or 80 amp fuse in the carrier but says 100amp so have to presume). Tails look really small, have not taken it apart but looked at next doors that had been cut off and I would say they are 10mm tails so really need upgrading. I thought the regs say they only need RCD protection if more than 3 meters, cable length will not be more than 3 meters, but thought there had to be some mechanical protections.

How about a large wiska box with a couple of henley blocks inside to make connection between tails and swa?

Saying that trying to get even 2 core 25mm SWA though the cavity could be a problem so may not have a lot of choice.

My guess is that the consumer unit was just the other side of the wall so was not an issue but when they did the conversion the cut all the twin and earth shorter and moved the cables up and put the consumer unit at the top so it did not get damaged... It was either done by a cowboy builder or a very long time ago as its an old wylex rewireable consumer unit.

Its TN-C-S with 100amp cutout fuse (Although might only be a 60 or 80 amp fuse in the carrier but says 100amp so have to presume). Tails look really small, have not taken it apart but looked at next doors that had been cut off and I would say they are 10mm tails so really need upgrading. I thought the regs say they only need RCD protection if more than 3 meters, cable length will not be more than 3 meters, but thought there had to be some mechanical protections.

How about a large wiska box with a couple of henley blocks inside to make connection between tails and swa?

Saying that trying to get even 2 core 25mm SWA though the cavity could be a problem so may not have a lot of choice.
If you think that tails need rcd protection for being over 3 meters you better read again.
Why would you even think that?

Sorry yes over current protection is required was from reading an above post not RCD, this is a requirement from DNO if tails are longer than 3m.

My alternative is run the cables straight through the wall then use trunking up to consumer unit but dont think that would go down too well with customer.

You can get some 50mm double walled pvc copex which would protect the cables from installation damage at least

Its a 3 bed semi so maximum load not going to be massive but they do want to add power to an outbuilding. 10mm tails really should be replaced imo. I know the OSG says 25mm but 16mm for most would be ok but 10mm is probably pushing it a bit too much.

I think it will be a case of do what I can but think just getting 25mm tails through the cavity will be enough of a challenge let alone thinking about anything else.. The regs are all very well but in the real world...

Reply to Tails in cavity wall in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock