Discuss EV charger cable in wall cavity in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I would like to hide the cable to an EV charger. The consumer unit, meter cabinet and charger would all be on the same wall. About 5 metres from the charger to the meter box or 6m to the CU. It's an external wall without insulation. Would 6mm NYYJ in the wall cavity be acceptable? It would be resting on the wall ties.

I'm not an electrician and won't be doing the install my self, just looking for opinions. I would fish the cable my self unless the electrician wanted to do that.

I have always said no when the builder or home owner asks if they can hide the cable in the cavity. I have also never put a cable in the cavity. However, if asked 'why', I usually stumble around my words a bit and end up saying something flimsy like its just not the done thing.

What is the difference between putting it in the cavity of the wall or putting it in the cavity of a stud wall (which is fine)? Also, what is the danger with putting it in the cavity of the wall?

I can see that if it is put in the cavity during construction of the wall, then it is prone to damage whilst all the construction work is going on, but what if it is put in after, as in this case? lets assume it is also within a zone, although it wouldn't need to be as it would be >50mm.

I'll sip my coffee a bit more and wait for the gasps that I dared ask the question :)

I have always said no when the builder or home owner asks if they can hide the cable in the cavity. I have also never put a cable in the cavity. However, if asked 'why', I usually stumble around my words a bit and end up saying something flimsy like its just not the done thing.

What is the difference between putting it in the cavity of the wall or putting it in the cavity of a stud wall (which is fine)? Also, what is the danger with putting it in the cavity of the wall?

I can see that if it is put in the cavity during construction of the wall, then it is prone to damage whilst all the construction work is going on, but what if it is put in after, as in this case? lets assume it is also within a zone, although it wouldn't need to be as it would be >50mm.

I'll sip my coffee a bit more and wait for the gasps that I dared ask the question :)

My house has meter tails in the cavity for about 4 feet. 80A fuse, no RCD protection, no obvious prescribed zone to avoid - just right when someone decides to drill to the outside to fit an outdoor socket and hits them.

Deadly in that instance.

Nobody knows that the cables are there.

I can only think it's down to:

A: Cables running within cavity insulation
B: Moisture running along cables and down into switches/sockets etc

In the early days before weep holes and insulation cavities were very damp places, nowadays the insulation is not continually filled creating a gap in which weep holes help ventilate these, but in the right conditions you still get moisture and the weep holes let this moisture out, especially around damp proof course level where the dpc is formed as a tray for weep holes to let out moisture.

weepholes.jpg

In the early days before weep holes and insulation cavities were very damp places, nowadays the insulation is not continually filled creating a gap in which weep holes help ventilate these, but in the right conditions you still get moisture and the weep holes let this moisture out, especially around damp proof course level where the dpc is formed as a tray for weep holes to let out moisture.

View attachment 112300
I know you're on about weeping but this fella's smile gives another, older, option...

IMG_5283.jpg

View attachment 112300
So, with regards to A:cables running within cavity insulation.... We need to factor in the correct reference method.
With regards B:Moisture running into appliances.... Maybe just not run the cable directly into the back of the socket/switch EV charger. Defeats the object of making it all neat, but avoids your problem B. Also, you could run it directly into a weatherproof box so you don't have an unsightly cable sticking out of the wall. In the weatherproof box you could join the appliance cable with a gel pack or such, or simply have the cable running straight to the appliance.

I am playing devils advocate here. I just want to understand more the dangers of running the cable in the cavity.

I was always told that a cable bridging the cavity could transfer moisture from the outside to internal wall possibly causing damp inside.!

It can. This is the reason traditional type cavity wall ties had to be fitted the right way up, so that any moisture dripped off rather than getting across the cavity.

Doesn't matter with modern types though.

My house has meter tails in the cavity for about 4 feet. 80A fuse, no RCD protection, no obvious prescribed zone to avoid - just right when someone decides to drill to the outside to fit an outdoor socket and hits them.

Deadly in that instance.

Nobody knows that the cables are there.
What if the cable has RCD protection, as in this case (I'm assuming)? Is it then any different to a cable in a stud wall?

Meter tails are perhaps a little different, only having ADS and a large fuse. I cant find many arguments to say it is ok in that case. Plus, they are likely to have been installed during the construction phase of the house.

What if the cable has RCD protection, as in this case (I'm assuming)? Is it then any different to a cable in a stud wall?

Meter tails are perhaps a little different, only having ADS and a large fuse. I cant find many arguments to say it is ok in that case. Plus, they are likely to have been installed during the construction phase of the house.

I think it's more a case of why you would hide a cable in somewhere that is intended to be a clear gap.

Reply to EV charger cable in wall cavity in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net