Discuss Test and inspect in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Noton1205

Hi all, my uncle is having an extension built so im doing the wiring for that and also re wiring the rest of the house. Can anyone issue me a cert for the building regs people. I live in east kent. Ta in advance.

You will be lucky mate. If he is having an extension, then the notification is not required as he will have payed his full plans application fee, so all you need to do is issue the EIC etc.

For the rewire, you will need to notify LABC prior to doing job, pay the costs, and get on with it.

Cheers.......Howard

Do the job, issue EIC and hope building inspector accepts it. To be fair when i have done similar, a rewire or part rewire and new extension they have always accepted my certs, and i have not needed to notify for the rewire, however i was an Elecsa member, and my certs had their logo on, so whether or not it made a difference i have no idea. If i were you i would do the job, issue the certs and see what happens, if you have to notify them of the rewire and pay the fees seperately, then that is what you will have to do. My gut feeling says you will be OK.

Cheers...........Howard

no one worth their salt wil issue a cert for work best you could hope for is an EIC What you are asking is one of the NONOs signing off someone elses work
let me ask you Would YOU sign off work done by someone else?
if so WHY would you do it?

If someone asked me to just sign it off, obviously i wouldnt, what im asking is someone to do a test and inspect but they can also come and view my first fix. Its not a massive hous and it shouldnt take long. I do appreciate what you are saying though.

Well, I wish you good luck in finding one. All I know is I wouldn't do it and I don 't think there's many on here that would

Is your "Uncle" aware that you're not following the ideal path that could leave him and his extension in a "difficult" position?

Why are you doing the rewire if you're not part P??

Because im a competant electrician and it will be a dam sight cheaper for me to do it. If i cant get a local spark to sign it off i will just have to get the council to do it.

Is your "Uncle" aware that you're not following the ideal path that could leave him and his extension in a "difficult" position?

Why are you doing the rewire if you're not part P??
But its all about competency ...isn`t it. You dont have to be part p....or anything else for that matter to rewire your house....it just means that the LABC have to be informed....which will most likely be a site visit by one of there inspectors on first fix and an approved contractor working on behalf of the LABC to inspect and test it upon the install being completed....at which time it will either pass or fail.....on whatever his findings and test results are.....but i agree its really a no-no to be asking here for someone to inspect and test your own work if you cant do it yourself...........

Dispel the myths............The only reason qualified sparks sign up to a competent persons scheme(part pee)is because you can notify the scheme provider elecsa,nic etc and pay a fee(£1.50 or so) and they inform labc.you can call them and tell them what you plan to do,they will charge you a fee to look at your work/paperwork.There is no legal requirement for anyone to be signed up with a scheme,its costly(£430 a year + notify fees) but easier and more cost effective if you do lots of part p notifyable works.It is obviously a legal requirement to notify labc but you can do this yourself although costly.No one can sign your work off but yourself or labc at a big expense,can you not do the testing and use your own EICS.

It's basically about money, nothing to do with being competent in this case!! Why should a qualified electrician be put in this position when wanting to wire his own house if it's not about money!!!

Nail on head again
Was partp reg for about 5years and now im not so suddenly ive forgot everything i know and am no longer competent to certify my own work

Hi eeezie

I gave up on part p reg last year in theory its a good idea but no customer knows or really cares about it i am just picking up minor and non notifiable work at mo but i am getting notifiables all the time so i just pass the work on less hassel for me not sure what ia am going to do going forward hopefuly they will just make it so qualified people can do part p and do away with this very poor pat p scheme

Hi eeezie

I gave up on part p reg last year in theory its a good idea but no customer knows or really cares about it i am just picking up minor and non notifiable work at mo but i am getting notifiables all the time so i just pass the work on less hassel for me not sure what ia am going to do going forward hopefuly they will just make it so qualified people can do part p and do away with this very poor pat p scheme
Well they are wanting to ensure that those applying for part p meet new criteria....holding a recognised level 3 qual such as 2330 level 3. Now then, how much of this is about the poor standards of install by some 6 week wonders and how much is about cash we will see....i suspect its a bit of both and i also think that given the amount of counterfeit goods about now (in particular MCBs and RCDs).....then isn`t this also a good way of ensuring that those being allowed onto these schemes will have had it drilled into them at college that we should ALWAYS perform inspection and testing when installing as i suspect a lot of fast track "installers" arn`t doing properly at the mo`. This will pick up any counterfeit goods that dont comply before signoff..........

Its all about dosh, nothing to do with skill or ability or competent...plain and simple jobs for the boys and protection money.

A spark can wire a school/swimming pool/changing room etc, but not his mothers shower?

Its all about dosh, nothing to do with skill or ability or competent...plain and simple jobs for the boys and protection money.

A spark can wire a school/swimming pool/changing room etc, but not his mothers shower?
The cash issue wont change as its an easy earner and lets face it......cash for doing nowt is one of the "grails" of the age were in...isn`t it........

Reply to Test and inspect in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net