Discuss Testing Loop Impedance through RCD. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, installed some circuits in a factory. The circuits were tapped off of a busbar that goes straight to the main switchgear. From this I installed a Chint RCD, which then goes to 2x Chint TP MCB and 1x Chint SP RCD. One of the TP MCB´s goes to red commando sockets and the SP MCB goes to blue commando sockets.

Ze is 0.1 ohms, as expected.
Testing the loop impedance from the furthest socket (actually I test all sockets) the impedance is 0.62 ohms, which is too high for the MCB and way higher than the design would suggest. Both socket circuits measure around the same (they are similar length).
Connecting the L-E on the furthest socket and measuring on the downstream of the RCD gives a Loop Impedance of 0.17 ohms. so Zs = 0.27 ohms, which is fine.

So, the Chint RCD is affecting the Loop Impedance, I´ve not seen this before and I´ve installed loads of them. Checking another identicle install next to this one and the RCD is also adding around 0.4 ohms to the reading.

Loop Impedance Testerv is a Megger 1552 which was calibrated a couple of weeks ago.
No measureable resistance across the RCD using my Fluke 289 (Megger trips it on resistance when no power to RCD).

Any ideas?

There's nothing unusual about higher Zs readings whilst testing on 'no trip'....and it seems consistent with that 0.4.
R1+R2 added to Ze will give you a more realistic result.

it's common for a RCD to affect the Zs. in this case, add the R1+R2 to the Ze to give a truer value. otherwise test with the RCD bypassed.

Reply to Testing Loop Impedance through RCD. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all , The measured value of loop impedance for a circuit is 2.4Ω. If the temperature at the time of the test was 20°C and the cable is 70°C...
Replies
Views
I just finished a garden room supply. The customer already had a CPN garage consumer unit that the last sparks left there, brand new in box, and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Been a while since I have been on here. I have been on an apprenticeship the last 3 years training in the BMS world. Taking that into...
Replies
Views
I have got these questions on 2391-52 inspection and testing but can't remember option of 1st two questions. Please any suggestion will be...
Replies
Views
Called out to fault on RCD tripping maybe twice in a month for sometime. Did all the tests & found RCD was faulty, Refitted a new Rcd Type A which...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock