Discuss Testing of Mobile Homes in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DurhamSparky

any body done them...

guy gave me a quick look at one..

got a PMS change over module when you connect to mains power from battery

got a handful of sockets, fridge, Lights and hob...!

earthed to the chasis with 6mm cable...

where the bloody hell do i start!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done portable trailers etc....the NIC do a PIR form for this.....same as any PIR except Zs readings are not taken as there is no way of knowing what sort of supply the end user will be plugging into.
Record circuit details and test results as normal,supply is normally via a 16a inlet socket...record permitted supply systems and max permitted Ze etc....Test RCD....nothing to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the National Caravan Council (NCC) is starting to tighten up on the electrics in caravans and motorhomes built by NCC approved manufacturers so this could have somthing to do with it. Have you checked with the client if the NCC have a particular EIC form / certificate for this as they supply their own PIR and Minor Works forms to engineers in the NCC Approved Workshop Scheme

In the next few years they are trying to bring in the no cert no electric hook up at sites in the UK so there could be some PIR work out there on caravans and motorhomes if the caravan engineers price themselves out with some of the figures I've heard although the competant persons course they do is very inadequate and does not equip them very well for doing PIR's

If you need a contact at the NCC let me know as I have a contact there and could get you a name to contact if you need any info

One of the main things you are looking for is the cable type. If its a mobile i.e. towed (caravan) or selfpowered (motor home) then the wiring should be done with multistrand cable due to the increased stress of being on the road. If its a static (caravan park type) then T&E solid core is acceptable.

Zs is a waste of time as you cant legislate for the power source. BRB does mention a max length for the 16A supply cable (usually damaged), take note of the warning notices that should be in place and also check out the earth bonding to the chassis of the vehicle. Insulation can also be problematic due to condensation and moisture ingress.

Stick to your usual standards, and have fun testing the RCD!!! (which one will trip)

Zs is a waste of time as you cant legislate for the power source. BRB does mention a max length for the 16A supply cable (usually damaged), take note of the warning notices that should be in place and also check out the earth bonding to the chassis of the vehicle. Insulation can also be problematic due to condensation and moisture ingress.

Stick to your usual standards, and have fun testing the RCD!!! (which one will trip)

With regard to the supply / hook up cable there are alot of visually in good condition cables that fail the IR test, a caravan engineer I know who has started doing electric checks as required by the NCC on caravans and motorhomes has seen quite a few failures

With regard to testing the RCD the only reliable way to do it is using an isolating transformer or most caravan workshops have a non RCD protected socket specifically for RCD testing purposes

Hi,
As you say regulations appear to have tightened up in the 17th edition but they were just as strict in the 16th regarding PIR's but now people are actually starting to take notice of it. I will be doing approx 400 tests on statics this year and as was mentioned rcd failures and ones that need kicking into life because noones bothers to push the test button are the major problem.Damp in the older ones is sometimes cause for concern ( I've often found mould growing in the c/u's.Water in the hook up sockets is always fun to sort out when they start nuisance tripping.
But what astounds me ( here comes the rant) is the complete and total ignorance of what an rcd is for, why you should push the test button and how often even though its written in red on the bloody box,or why its so important to have one that works. Having said that the box is usually surrounded by a hoover and 14 pillows . On closer questioning they are the same at home so is it any wonder that people are so blaise about electricity except when it kills someone they know. I feel better now.

Ive done about the same amount of statics this year too, main failure was the SWA gland entering the hookup box, with the armour rotting or rotted away, and chassis bonding............Nice steady and easy (well paid) work though :D

Hi Graeme
I have got some caravan pitches with corroded armour as well but no room for joints I was thinking of just using external earth clamps on the good part of the armour and feeding earth wire into box. What have you used ?
As for originaly query PIRs on statics cover the caravan upto and including the 16A plug. From there onwards should be covered by the PIR for the site. Caravans usually only have RCD and 2 mcbs sockets and lights. The problems come in testing the RCD as the hook up RCD may trip first so has to be by passed.

Luckilly Im working on a well planned park that had tons of spare cable burried at each pitch, plus I didnt do the rectification work :D Just hired to find faults and certify.....

Can you move the hook-up box and extend the 16A plug in cable?? Much better to terminate into the box properly.

Hi Graeme
I have got some caravan pitches with corroded armour as well but no room for joints I was thinking of just using external earth clamps on the good part of the armour and feeding earth wire into box. What have you used ?
As for originaly query PIRs on statics cover the caravan upto and including the 16A plug. From there onwards should be covered by the PIR for the site. Caravans usually only have RCD and 2 mcbs sockets and lights. The problems come in testing the RCD as the hook up RCD may trip first so has to be by passed.

Ideally you would test through an isolating transformer to remove the up-stream RCD from the equation. As long as one trips in the prescribed time and then get them on RCD discrimination in the report!!

Yes the PIR will only cover the caravan to the end of the 16A plug which is why you shouldnt get too hung up on Ze and Zs values as these things do have a habit of moving round sites.

Reply to Testing of Mobile Homes in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net