Search the forum,

Discuss Testing others work in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MikeK

Recently asked to test anothers work.

Installer was 2330 L3 qualified and could produce certs as proof if needed. Usually he used another electrician to certify his installs as he could not test. (This electrician was unavailable.)

I was tempted to use a multi person Installation Cert - him signing for design and installation - and me signing for the test results.

I turned the job down because it became apparent that LABC may be not involved and I am also not Part P Approved Scheme member.

Was this best action?

:confused:

Or could I have completed test, issued p/work leaving question of LABC notification to the installing contractor / builder / householder?

:confused:

Thanks

Mike K

Last edited by a moderator:
I did turn down the work.

Just seemed to fishy. Where was electrician who normally did the test? Why start if he knew he couldnt finish?

But I wanted to get some feed back as whether this was right thing to do.

I dont enjoy turning down easy money / test work especially at moment.

But thanks for your feedback

Mike K

See

Agreed.

Let LABC deal with it direct.

Too late.

Installation was com plete.

Just need testing.

Our LABC wouldnt touch it once started

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't ever let money become a juicy carrot in situations like these Mike. You can so easily find yourself regretting it big time. You walked away ! Wise Move. ;)

Interesting thread. I too am L3 2330 qualified with a distinction, I am also 3 months into my NVQ L3.

What would I need to be able to start and test my own jobs and give the customer a certificate?

In all honesty I don't think L3 2330 would be enough for anyone to call themselves a competant electrician, however I have had nearly 3 years working 5 days a week for a company and do plenty of work on my own (mainly design and installation) ready to be tested by my boss.

Just curious really, I am in no rush to start doing my own work but recently my uncle bought a new house and asked if I could wire it up for him, I refused as I was unsure what I would need to be able to certificate, I have also turned down loads of small jobs for friends (new sockets, outside lights etc) as I am unsure where I stand.

Any help would be great, It would be ideal to start making some extra cash with weekend work for myself. I am going to do my inspection and testing and 17th Edition at the end of September.

Thanks

Sound like you`ve got the right attitude there, Eskimo. Don`t run til you can walk...

As you said, a 2330 alone won`t make you a competent spark, but allied to the day to day experience you`re having, you`re no doubt getting there :)

Truth is, there`s plenty operating on the domestic scene without such a good grounding as yours & you only have to check out some of the posts on here & elsewhere to see the result ("I`ve just rewired someones house, how do i take a PFC reading with my Megger 1552" :eek:)

To carry out the jobs you mention you would need to either: a) notify LABC beforehand & get a `Qualified Supervisor`(maybe your boss?) to Inspect & Test your install or stump up the money for the LABC to get a third party to do the same, or b) get yourself registered on a Part P scheme which would involve a considerable outlay but longterm would allow you to certify your own domestic work cheaply.

For either approach i`d strongly suggest you do that 17th as it`ll fill in any holes in your knowledge of the Regs & give you a bit more confidence that you`re installing to current requirements. It would be a pre-requisite if you went with option b) above.

After that, i`d personally point you towards a 2392 short course to educate yourself re: Initial Inspection & Testing and all the certification that goes with it. That would give you a basic qualification to I & T your own work. With sufficient experience / practice you could consider yourself fairly competent with straightforward domestics at that point i feel.

After that the 2391 would be your next stop, & tho it`s a tough nut to crack if you`d followed the suggested route above you`d cope with it all the better :)

Hope that helps you. Most on here would be impressed by your attitude, even if they don`t necessarily agree on my suggestions for you.

Reply to Testing others work in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net