Discuss TN-S earthing issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I give the report to my QS then hopefully he sorts.
So if he failed to act on something you found to be a problem and an injury or fatality was subsequently found to be as a result of something you found would he be the one in court or you

It's the man on the ground that generally cops it as the guy further up the chain covers his back to avoid a stay at one of the HM Hotels around the country

So if he failed to act on something you found to be a problem and an injury or fatality was subsequently found to be as a result of something you found would he be the one in court or you

It's the man on the ground that generally cops it as the guy further up the chain covers his back to avoid a stay at one of the HM Hotels around the country
What can you do, you’ve done a EICR,your PDH & QS signs the certification where appropriate,you’ve signed your bit.
You’ve noted the observation you may have coded it, then it’s there duty to do the necessary remedial’s,if required.
As an employee you are then asked to do the works,if those works are not assigned to you,that is not your problem.

How come?

What can you do, you’ve done a EICR,your PDH & QS signs the certification where appropriate,you’ve signed your bit.
You’ve noted the observation you may have coded it, then it’s there duty to do the necessary remedial’s,if required.
As an employee you are then asked to do the works,if those works are not assigned to you,that is not your problem.
totally agree. yous done your bit. reported findings to the decision makers. it's then up to them to act.

If the means of earthing is still TNS at the cut out then that’s what I use. If the DNO placed PME stickers on the cut out then they would take precedence. But I’ve never seen this without the change to the means of earthing as well. Any new installation I do as if it will be/become PME.

Adiabatic calculates earth should be 6.19mm2.
What figures did you use as I did one this past week with a much higher pfc (2.6kA) and k value of 159 (accessible to touch) for bare copper and works out smaller csa than yours.
You may have used the figure for steel but doubt the dno conductor would be steel, its probably tinned copper.

That aside its worthy of a note (C3 at worst), it meets the adiabatic requirements so all good. The consumers installation starts from the MET put in by the DNO so 16sq from that point! Bonding conductors may be terminated from there or the earth bar in the CU.

So if you if you found the DNO earth had failed or the service head was leaking bitumen or crackling am I thinking you would code it and walk away from site and leave your QS to deal with it!!, surely not.
The book stops at the guy who was onsite not the QS if you code something incorrectly or fail to note something it's not your QS that will be talking to the person in the funny wig if something goes wrong.

As an employee ask yourself would your employer back you up or run away and save his own skin should the **** hit the fan, and the only time you will ever find out is when it happens, Take care

So if you if you found the DNO earth had failed or the service head was leaking bitumen or crackling am I thinking you would code it and walk away from site and leave your QS to deal with it!!, surely not.
The book stops at the guy who was onsite not the QS if you code something incorrectly or fail to note something it's not your QS that will be talking to the person in the funny wig if something goes wrong.

As an employee ask yourself would your employer back you up or run away and save his own skin should the **** hit the fan, and the only time you will ever find out is when it happens, Take care
You are now asking a different question,which would have a different coding.
Any code 1 would require immediate action.
Regarding my court case,I’ve done nothing wrong.

i would say that if the DNO earth had failed in some way, you might have a load of C1s or C2s as Zs readings could be unacceptable (although bonding could affect these). You are there to report on the installation,nothing more. Once you have passed that report to the higher ups, and maybe left a copy with customer (all depends on you company's policy) you have fulfilled your remit. Being self-employed myself, the responsibility is with me to advise the customer on remedial work (in writing and signed by customer) and it's then the customer's responsibility to act on it. being employed, it's the employer's responsibility to do this, not yours. Also wsoth noting that we do not have the authority to disconnect any dangerous part of an install, unlike gas. all we can do is issue a danger notice if appropriate. end of the day, it's down to the customer to act/not act on the findings of the report.

Reply to TN-S earthing issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net