Discuss To be certified/qualified to carry out and Sign of on domestic electrical work in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chorsman

Hi there, I have just joined this forum today in order to ask about what you need to be able to carry out and sign off on domestic electrical work. I have asked many people this and no one seems to give me a definate answer. I am sure that this question may have been asked before and many of you are probably tired of repeating the answer and I am sorry for that. I am not lazy I have had a quick look on this foru. I read a post by Durham Sparky about a Part B and also about a Competent Person Scheme. Is this all you need? I'll first tell you a bit about me, I am an industrial electrician working offshore with the Oil & Gas Industry. I have a HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering and a Level 3 SVQ/NVQ in Process Engineering Maintenance (Electrical). I have many certificates such as 17th Edition, Electricity At Work Regs 1989 and Electrical Installation Requirements. I do not have my Inspection and Testing Certificate but I plan to attend the course. Also I presume the electrical stuff I done at the trade college would be the same for domestic and industrial electricans, ie construct, test and fault find lighting, socket and motor circuits etc. an you please give me a straight forward list of the things I need to do. Your help will be much appreciated.

Firstly in answer to your question all scheme providers refer to "competent persons" as does BS7671 and anything seconded to it.
Competent person schemes generally require that you can prove competency by holding a formal qualification such as the C&G 2382. There are other quals that will help your cause such as the C&G 2391 ins. and test which is a well respected cert within our industry. Unfortunately as i am sure others will mention here.....it seems to be more about the cash than wether you are competent enough to undertake installation work within/on peoples property/s though. The current setup will be changing in january next year though with a formal level 3 cert such as the C&G 2330 level three being the entry requirement for part p. I and others think though that these scheme providers have made enormous amounts of cash out of all this and they wont want to cut off their supply........lookout for the loophole that they will have been sure to have built in..........:smiley2:

Last edited:
So if I do the courses you have mentioned I will then be legal and certified to carry out and sign off electrical work?? I ask because I want to work for myself during my leave from the rigs, little extra cash you know. I have no problem doing the electrical work. But obviously I want to ensure that I will be legal for carrying out domestic electrical work.

Along with your current certificates(you have your 17th edition
icon14.png
)that will be sufficient for entry
You need to get the various books and paperwork that are mandatory and are listed on the napit niceic or elecsa sites

You will need public liability insurance and one or more pieces of installation work for an assessment by one of these schemes,and pay them over £400 pounds of course

If you have the money for these items it should be a piece of cake for you to register

your first port of call is your local council building control dept. to comply with part p, you have to prove that you are competent. some authorities accept your qualifications and you register with them. others insist that you join niceic,elecsa or napit. so find out what their requirements are before spending hard earned on one of the scams.

Reply to To be certified/qualified to carry out and Sign of on domestic electrical work in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net