Discuss Trainee Electrician - Advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MaxwellD

Hi Guys

Looking for some advice please. I am doing a part time electrical course rather than the usual apprenticeship route as it is a change of career for me (I'm 31) and I can't afford to be on an apprentice wage. The course is very detailed, thorough and the outcomes are the usual C&G's qualifications.

However, because I'm not out there doing the job as an apprentice my plan was to work for free on weekends with an electrician to build my experience and then once I get my Domestic Installer qualification with 17th Ed - apply for mates jobs while I finish the rest of my qualifications.

However, I have found quite a few electricians who have said I can come out with them on weekends but have never got back to me and returned my messages after originally agreeing to it. Understand they are trying to run a business and I will probably be a pain so I wondered if there was anything else I could do to get out there for some experience. Also, does my plan of working as a mate seem realistic and have you any other advice.

Thanks for any responses and sorry for the essay :).

P.s I'm in the Birmingham area if anyone can offer me any experience!

Anybody working at a weekend, especially in the domestic sector, is likely to be in a hurry to get the job done because they are losing their weekend! How would you feel if your current employer made you work over a weekend and then lumbered you with someone who is doing a short course, which has pretty much become the bane of the industry?

As a general rule an apprentice is a trainee and a 'mate' is a labourer in this industry. If you apply for a job as a mate then don't expect to be doing anything other than labouring (occasionally if a mate is keen and the electrician has time then they will get help and training, but it is not a general case)

What do you mean by the usual C&G qualifications? Any qualification with 'domestic installer' in the title is not going to be thorough, detailed, or given the time of day by an electrician.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP was a bit ambiguous. it's where he mentioned "domestic installer" that set alarm bells off.

yes, because it only takes 5 weeks to learn how to wire a plug top and donate to a scam. :icon10:

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. Its not a 5 wk short course, was well aware of those before I signed up. I knew it would take far more than 5 weeks to be a fully qualified Electrician and I wouldn't feel comfortable going in to someone's house and do work after just 5 weeks (no offence to the people that do). Been doing mine for a year now as well as working full time. Qualifications are Part P defined and Full Scope, 17th Ed Wiring Regs, 2377, 2382, 2357 NVQ3, 2392-10, 2394, 2395. My thoughts were to get to a certain standard (Part P Full Scope & Wiring Regs) and then start calling local electrical companies to come on board as a mate/improver/trainee and then carry on studying to get my NVQ. I wanted to be able to contribute rather than be a complete beginner before I applied. The theory I am ok with but its the important 'on the tools' experience that I need, that's why I was going to get a job as a mate to learn the chasing out, pulling cables, getting up floorboards etc. What would you advise, I start applying now for a trainee job? I could afford a couple of years on a low wage but couldn't commit to 4. Thanks, Max

thanks for the clarification. i suggest you go after work as a spark's mate. register with some local agencies, sign up with indeed, trovit, jobrapido for daily email alerts for jobs in your area ( most of these will be agencies). for job specification put electricians mate, within XX miles of where you live, where XX is the distance you're prepared to commute.

Ok thanks for the feedback telectrix, you think I should hold out until I get my wiring regs first before I start applying it do it now? Also, last question I promise, I've seen that it helps if you have Ipaf training, asbestos awareness certs. If you were employing a mate would you be looking for any other qualifications (apart from the electrical ones).

Thanks again, Max

Bit puzzled with the 2357 as you have to show work done along with the Am2 test
If you do the 2356/2357/2330 etc courses you don't need to bother with part p
Part p courses are more for old timers doing and did the job whom have no qualifications.
2377 is pat testing 2377-22 and 2377-32 managment side of things.

Working for free is mm as everyone has to be insured. Tho I have worked for free, but I was insured myself.

Hi Duane

thanks for the reply. The 2357 and am2, the course plan is that you are in employment by this time or if not they use contractors and you go on site.

didnt think about the work being insured. Have been out with a electrician and wired sockets, spots switches and he tested them afterwards. I'm guessing that covered him?

what would be your advice, apply for a mates job?

A year now, they do the practical work that you would do in college in bulk so doing my first 2 weeks in mid August. Then I have to study again, do assessments, pass pre practical tests and I do another 2 weeks in college. That's when I get my 17th edition.

Plan is then to apply for mates jobs, prove myself and then continue quals whilst working for them and qualify as an electrician. Sure they'll be bumps in the road but that's life.

The reason I ask is I'm doing the same type of course. It's not ideal in the slightest and Iv found out a lot about the way these company's operate, however it was my only route in as I can't be an apprentice because if finances and I can't commit to regular evenings a week at college so the freedom to study as and when was the selling point.

im at the same point you are and believe we are studying towards the same outcome.

i have my first 2 week practical and Assement next week.

one thing I will say is, Check you are actually on the course you believe your on. Is it level 2 or level 3??? I thought I was on level 3 but turns out I'm on lev 2. I plan to get my qualification and then do level 3 elsewhere. I'm with train4jobs. Most like a sister company of the one your on.

goodluck

As it is for complete beginners, that don't have an apprenticeship as they can't afford to be on the low wage, they need to give you the knowledge, background and skills that will then build you up to be employable as a mate/trainee. If you are not in employment in the trade by the am2 point then they organise for you to go on site with companies they know so you can do the am2. That's my interpretation of it anyway.

im guessing you did the apprentice route? Did your college book the AM2 or did you have to do it yourself?

Nop i did the part time one over two years 2330. It's like the classroom bit, and then I do a extra unit and my portfolio along with Am2 to make it up to 2356/7

Reply to Trainee Electrician - Advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net