Discuss Underfloor heating and electric towel rails in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparkydan

Hi

I have been asked by a client to provide and fit electric underfloor heating and electric towel rails but they have asked for the towel rail to come on and off with the underfloor heating but also have an easily operated over-ride so towel rails can be switched on/off independently.

Does anybody know if this can be done and if so any suggestions on the best way to do it?

Thanks.

i'm not familiar but how is the UFH zoned and is it peak or off-peak input?

is it just one manual changeover you want for the towel rails or individual manual changeover

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you run a cable big enough to handle the load of the UFH and Towel heaters i see no problem with them coming from the same dedicated MCB

4mm T&e radial? depending on load. The UFH will have its own independent Thermostat though, with a FCU with appropriate fuse. If they want to individually switch the towel rails can you not just supply each one off an individual FCU.

With regards to UFH and towel rails coming on at the same time---I'm not sure about that---- soneone else on here will know more ---- apologies if i've stated the obvious to you, just tryin to help

The only way i can see to do it is by using a relay and a lot of messing about, the output to the heating element would have to switch the supply to the radiator, Why oh why do customers have to be awkward and different. The fact is UFH is crap and once they get the first bill they wont use it.

Tell them to buy a heater with a built in timer and have it done with.

Cheers...........Howard.

If the UFH programmer can handle the load (they`re normally 16 amps), you could feed the 20A Switch or fused spur depending on total load - into the UFH programmer with the floor tails connected direct here - then switched feed out to fused spur for towel rail so it can be controlled by programmer

the towel rails will prob be separate 'home runs'

if all the towel rails and the ufh are single zones all you need is a multipole contactor for towel rails and changeover from ufh controls(auto) to perm feed(manual) using a 2-way switch
all control wiring fed from same control circuit mcb

if the ufh is all zoned up prob a multi-input relay to prevent feedback

if ufh is off-peak input i assume there's no point to this as the towel rails will be peak supply

Last edited by a moderator:
nip out get a honey well central heating programmer , stick 2 small contators on the output ,then they can control the towel rail and UFH as they wish pre programmed on for 123 hours then off easy way to do it oh just change the hot water with a lable towel rail

Reply to Underfloor heating and electric towel rails in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net