Discuss en-suite wiring, a few issues in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

adrian55

DIY
Reaction score
i am wiring up a new en-suite: it is about 1.7m square, shower cubicle in one corner, toilet in other, door between, basin next to shower.

I will fit a wall-mounted convector heater next to the door, well away from the shower, so i dont think it needs to be the IP rated version and i will fit a switched fused flex outlet next to it (outlet will be more than 0.6m from shower: ok?

I have a remote fan (with run-on timer) in the loft and a single pole pull-cord, situated in the en-suite, to operate only the fan: i am not going to fit a separate 3 pole isolator: why would you rely on an isolator that someone could easily turn on again, whilst you were doing maintenance: ok?

I want to fit an electric towel rail next to the toilet: are there zones around toilets, i can find nothing on the net? So, i plan to run a spur from the ring main to a socket in the bedroom, then have a flex with plug on one end and the other going to a flex outlet next to the towel rail, so the flex will be sort-of semi permanent (as it will go through the wall and be wired into the flex outlet: ok?

Is all this Ok?

Bathroom zones:- There are so many sources on the net already, i'm sure you've seen them.... However, the regulations also state that any circuit serving a bathroom needs to have RCD protection. You don't mention that in the OP.

It is always a good idea to use IP rated equipment in a bathroom... ie, if a heater comes as 'splashproof' then thats the most suitable. Its not just direct contact with water you have to think about... its hot steamy vapour all around as well.

Correct, there is no specific zones for around toilets... but id be more concerned with burning my knees on a heater in that situation. Again, this heater would need rcd protection, even if plugged in within the adjacent bedroom.

The 3 pole isolator for the fan can be located right next to the fan in the attic.... It doesn't have to be on the wall in the room. The fan itself may have to have a 3A fuse to protect it, over and above the 6A lighting circuit that its fed from. Something to think about there.

The other thing you need to find out about is Part P notification. I'm Scottish, so i don't have to deal with that side of things, but i'm sure one of my English colleagues will advise.

Reactions: DPG
Bathroom zones:- There are so many sources on the net already, i'm sure you've seen them.... However, the regulations also state that any circuit serving a bathroom needs to have RCD protection. You don't mention that in the OP.

It is always a good idea to use IP rated equipment in a bathroom... ie, if a heater comes as 'splashproof' then thats the most suitable. Its not just direct contact with water you have to think about... its hot steamy vapour all around as well.

Correct, there is no specific zones for around toilets... but id be more concerned with burning my knees on a heater in that situation. Again, this heater would need rcd protection, even if plugged in within the adjacent bedroom.

The 3 pole isolator for the fan can be located right next to the fan in the attic.... It doesn't have to be on the wall in the room. The fan itself may have to have a 3A fuse to protect it, over and above the 6A lighting circuit that its fed from. Something to think about there.

The other thing you need to find out about is Part P notification. I'm Scottish, so i don't have to deal with that side of things, but i'm sure one of my English colleagues will advise.
thanks for that....circuit will be RCD protected.....i take your point about a 3 pole isolator next to the fan in the loft, but they mostly aren't in practice. i just don't think they are necessary. A padlocked CU always best.
My main query was around running a short length of flex through the wall to feed the towel rail (via a flex outlet). i can't see an issue with it....anyone?

Reply to en-suite wiring, a few issues in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net