Discuss Wagos on Final Ring Circuits in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

the two cables coming from the CU actually act as one, and each cable will carry half the current of the total load from all the outlets

I don't think this is quite what you meant to say. Either that, or you will have to haggle with Mr Ohm and get him to change his ideas about proportionality between V and I in metallic conductors.

My original point was that a Wago has a bus bar inside. This bus bar is a part of the ring when the ring cables are connect at each end. Then a number of spurs can be taken off the bus bar - is not daisy chaining spurs, as some thing it is.

The j box below would do exactly the same if wired the same way as the Wago, as can be seen a bus bar is there.

View attachment 63817

The above j box is quite different to the normal one like below, where thers is no bus and all cables are into one terminal:

View attachment 63818
But aint MF

The above j box is quite different to the normal one like below, where thers is no bus and all cables are into one terminal:

Quite different indeed. In one, the cables are clamped by screw pressure against a piece of brass of negligible resistance, whereas in the other, they are clamped by screw pressure against a piece of brass of negligible resistance.

Having finished work now, I'm off home. Kat is still away visiting her family so I am going to have a mixed grill. I'll fry a couple of Wagos in case I need to spur off the onion rings, although there isn't mushroom in the back box.

TTFN

You mentioned in another post that wagos can be a get of jail free card, but if you're taking two spurs off one WAGO terminal then it's you that could be going straight to jail I'm afraid.
A WAGO is not a ring conductor, It's a terminal for goodness sake.
As for balancing loads on a ring circuit....er, hello, it's a ring....the two cables coming from the CU actually act as one, and each cable will carry half the current of the total load from all the outlets.....of course the load varies along the length of the cable but all that means is the point of "balance" (searching for a better word) of current flow will change accordingly.
That is totally incorrect. Here is a vid on the inbalance between the legs of a ring circuit:

"A WAGO is not a ring conductor, It's a terminal for goodness sake."

Mmmm No. Manufacturers at times design products that are used for different purposes for what they were intended. An e.g. is the transistor. Bell Labs designed it to make long distance telephone calls clearer. It was used by others to replace valves in radios - to Bell's surprise.

Last edited:
Quite different indeed. In one, the cables are clamped by screw pressure against a piece of brass of negligible resistance, whereas in the other, they are clamped by screw pressure against a piece of brass of negligible resistance.

Having finished work now, I'm off home. Kat is still away visiting her family so I am going to have a mixed grill. I'll fry a couple of Wagos in case I need to spur off the onion rings, although there isn't mushroom in the back box.

TTFN
is that mixed grill a mixture of lever wagos and push-in wagos. ? bearing in mind that you need the lever type for the (flexible) onion rings.

TTFN
?

I don't think this is quite what you meant to say. Either that, or you will have to haggle with Mr Ohm and get him to change his ideas about proportionality between V and I in metallic conductors.
Your right of course, I think I lost the plot frustrated by the other issue. Current will flow according to the rules for parallel conductors and of course at the point of load the resistance of one path will be different to the other.
I think that's everything washed up now....oh sorry there's the mixed grill stuff ?

This one shows dishwasher, washing machine and tumble drier. Hardly distributing the heavy loads around the ring! About the full 32A from this one point from just those three.
Yep. On my ring, which has 16 sockets off it - 12 double, four single. The kitchen is not far from the CU. When the toaster is on, 75% of its load is through one leg of the ring. So, when the full 32A is being drawn, if all the draw is in the kitchen bunched up, 24 amps will be through one leg. This is within the 27 amps of the 2.5 cable.

All my heavy appliances are on their own individual circuits. I was going to fit two radials, but it was cheaper using one lightly used ring.

A friend has a ring doing only his kitchen. The legs are pretty equal to the bunched appliances. The distribution is ~equal on both legs.

Last edited:
Isn't this going to end up as multiple spurs from the same point on a ring when fitted?

Not if it's fed by a 4.0mm² radial. I wouldn't put that assembly on a general-purpose ring out of choice.

Not if it's fed by a 4.0mm² radial. I wouldn't put that assembly on a general-purpose ring out of choice.
i wouldn'tput it on anything other than a skip. the number of fail ed switches i've encountered on those appliance grids is phenomenal. seen loads bridged due to this.

They look like grid switches.
they are grid switches. generally specced by costomers who don't want FCUs or D/P switches along the worktops. then they moan when the dishwasher/freezer/washing machine wuuna work coz the switch is broke.

they are grid switches. generally specced by costomers who don't want FCUs or D/P switches along the worktops. then they moan when the dishwasher/freezer/washing machine wuuna work coz the switch is broke.
You can make up grid switches cheaper. My experience with grid switches, is only buy the branded quality ranges. Frustrating and time consuming when fitting with so many wires in tight locations. Some carrying high loads as well, which is off putting. They are convenient and neat looking for the users though.

I don't have FCus along worktops. There is no need for them if sockets are in adjacent cupboards to appliances in easy to reach locations. Unnecessary.

Bunching off hravy load appliances on rings is ultra common. Only diversity keeps it safe.

Reply to Wagos on Final Ring Circuits in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net