Discuss Warning - this is HORRIBLE! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A wake up call for many on here - safe isolation - would have meant this could never have happened, its the reason why we have strict rules regarding this and if an Electrician was involved with this repair/service of the oven then TBH he is primary target under HSE for liability ... it is clear the son in law turned it on by accident and even after making assumptions it was ok to if he did know it was having work done - the fact it switched on means gross neglect for safety procedures.

I think that will be one arkward family xmas dinner from now on...not a nice way to go especially when you here he tried crowbaring he way out :frown2:

I own one of their boats, don't think I'll have another

As horrific as it is I can see multiple failures leading to this tragedy. Bad design, lack of procedure (& isolation), poor knowledge by previous inspectors, lack of warning systems.... as above, almost unbelievable now days

I own one of their boats, don't think I'll have another

As horrific as it is I can see multiple failures leading to this tragedy. Bad design, lack of procedure (& isolation), poor knowledge by previous inspectors, lack of warning systems.... as above, almost unbelievable now days

No its not unbelievable, Ive just got a new customer and the trail of dangerous practices by previous sparkies is gobsmacking. ... 2 mains boards no cover, trunking housing the supply tails 'earth free' (mounted on a rubber mat), T&E with plugs on and this was a registered spark! Im still finding shocking examples of poor safety procedures as well as death traps....I see it all the time in the textile industry ...cheap labour, no safety procedures and even climbing over barriers while machine controls still energised :O

No its not unbelievable, Ive just got a new customer and the trail of dangerous practices by previous sparkies is gobsmacking. ... 2 mains boards no cover, trunking housing the supply tails 'earth free' (mounted on a rubber mat), T&E with plugs on and this was a registered spark! Im still finding shocking examples of poor safety procedures as well as death traps....I see it all the time in the textile industry ...cheap labour, no safety procedures and even climbing over barriers while machine controls still energised :O

Do the owners understand their liability under the corporate manslaughter rules? They should look at the case I started this thread about if not!

If only people realised that Health and Safety is much more than a hard hat and Hi-viz vest! It gets on my nerves when the managers think that everyone must be ok if they've got their health and safety 'uniform' on, but their understanding of REAL risk doesn't go any further than this.

I was once (potentially) nearly killed by falling scaffolding planks on a large site a few years ago where the soaking wet planks were being stacked up against the toe-boards which weren't properly secured, allowing them to slip through and fall 4 stories. A hard hat wouldn't have saved me, they would have broken my neck.

I made sure it went all the way as a 'near miss' and as a result, the scaffolders were hauled over the coals, and protected walkways into each building were erected.

Where I work now, the managers think that as long as we have our 'uniform' on then everything is ok, but then they expect us to go up ladders on dodgy ground then reach out 1 metre whilst holding a heavy lantern in one hand and try to feed the flex down the column with the other!

No way, Jose! Is Mr Manager going to catch me when I fall?

...A shocking,yet familiar story,which sadly,the events leading to,will be repeated up and down the country,starting tomorrow morning.The responsibility for these scenarios get spread wider every year,yet this seems to make things thinner. The fact remains each of us,has to be responsible for our own safety,and NEVER solely rely on management,policy,statutory or non-statutory rules. I have seen a lot of otherwise decent tradesmen,set out to do things right,until confronted with a bit of noise such as "The other fella doesn't bother","Get on with it" or "I'll keep my eye on it..." then fold,and take their chances. All that is required,is for lads to grow the big set of gonads they wear at the football match,pub or keyboard,and to keep on doing the RIGHT thing. :bobby:

Absolutely tragic event. There must have been multiple contributing factors leading to this event which should never have happened. Hopefully lessons are learned.

Must have been a terrifying way to go. Doesn't bear thinking about, poor bloke.
The same thing happened at a bread factory a few years back so maybe lessons have not been learned.

poor bloke, where was his mate if he was working in an oven? surely most places would put there foot down on isolation and someone there incase anything went wrong.

the main danger with machines is multiple supplies, it can show dead but be fed from elsewhere via a contactor and you would never know

I’ve been one of the first on the scene for two bad accidents. The 1[SUP]st[/SUP] the guy lost both legs, the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] an arm.

Both incidents were due the operator defeating or ignoring safety systems. You can put as many devices in as you like, nothing will stop the determined. Both thought they were saving time and therefore helping by getting production going.

The obvious questions have already been asked. All that remains now is to wait for the outcome of the enquiry / trial. Hopefully lessons will be learnt.

People are always dying in these sort of machines, especially when cleaning. It's a lot to do with the company but I'm ****ed if I'd go in without making sure that anyone near any controls or door knew I was in there.

Ultimately, personal h&s is our own responsibility.

I’ve been one of the first on the scene for two bad accidents. The 1[SUP]st[/SUP] the guy lost both legs, the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] an arm.

Both incidents were due the operator defeating or ignoring safety systems. You can put as many devices in as you like, nothing will stop the determined. Both thought they were saving time and therefore helping by getting production going.

The obvious questions have already been asked. All that remains now is to wait for the outcome of the enquiry / trial. Hopefully lessons will be learnt.

In my time on the Pharma/Chem plants, we didn't touch a thing without Permits to Work, EVERTHING locked off, isolated and signed for.
Made a happy workplace unless one was wearing the full air blown air suit! :)

Really sad story, I feel for the guy and his family. There should have been a lock-off & permit procedure in place at the bare minimum

In my time on the Pharma/Chem plants, we didn't touch a thing without Permits to Work, EVERTHING locked off, isolated and signed for.
Made a happy workplace unless one was wearing the full air blown air suit! :)

That’s as we know it should be. (We did work for the same company). But in both the incidents the plant operator thought they knew better and could avoid the time to make out the permits.

There is another side to all this. Think about the poor sods that have to get them out. I had nightmares for months after getting the guy who lost his legs out of the chain conveyor.

After an accident where one of my shift team broke his arm I was interviewed by both the police and HSE with the view of prosecution. The outcome was the guy who broke his arm finished up in court and a very heavy fine imposed. I was exonerated, but the experience is a hell of a shock to the system.

Reply to Warning - this is HORRIBLE! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net