Discuss Washing machines in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Why would you want to? (Assuming we're talking domestic).

What's close to a 2kW limit? 16A = 4kW, washing machine is a maximum of 3kW as it's on a plug top.

It's also only drawing whatever it's stated rating at for short periods when it's heating water, and an average 40deg cycle isn't going to be much, surely? (I am NOT an expert in washing machines, for the record!).

What's close to a 2kW limit? 16A = 4kW, washing machine is a maximum of 3kW as it's on a plug top.

It's also only drawing whatever it's stated rating at for short periods when it's heating water, and an average 40deg cycle isn't going to be much, surely? (I am NOT an expert in washing machines, for the record!).

I know that's it's massive overkill but for some reason as its my house - I wanna run more circuits for individual items, I've got a full RCBO hager CU

Hey, nothing to stop you, if you've got the RCBO already it's just a few metres of cable. Consider isolating your fridge/freezer circuit first, though, if you want to get some cleverness involved.

Hey, nothing to stop you, if you've got the RCBO already it's just a few metres of cable. Consider isolating your fridge/freezer circuit first, though, if you want to get some cleverness involved.
That's what I originally got them for, one for each. I think I'd rather have them on the kitchen ring so I'm more likely to notice if they have tripped, rather than noticing when there's a puddle in front of them.That's just my crazy logic though

Go on then, tell me, which reg is that? (Don't dispute you, just curious)

And where exactly do you plug a kettle into in a kitchen, then?

Official advice from the dept of the bleedin obvious!!!! :95:

or put the electric kettle on the gas ring, like my ex. did. as rene artois would say...... "stupid woman"

You can always put the kettle socket on it's own circuit:coffee:
Perfect for when an electrician is working on the kitchen ring.
Isn't there some reg about water heaters over a certain wattage being on their own circuit?
.. Just checked - that's for water heaters with "storage vessels in excess of 15 litres", ie big kettles.

Perfect for when an electrician is working on the kitchen ring.
Isn't there some reg about water heaters over a certain wattage being on their own circuit?
.. Just checked - that's for water heaters with "storage vessels in excess of 15 litres", ie big kettles.

Ermm.....as immersion heaters, basically. And, having queried it with my NICEIC assessor last inspection purely through curiosity (why you can't have a 3kW immersion on a plugtop), he in turn didn't know why it was in the regs and asked back with some senior bods at the office, and they didn't know either. Best guess is it's left in from historical purposes and simply hasn't been removed yet!

*** Just to be clear: obviously if the load of your water heater of any capacity exceeds the design capability of the circuit in question then it needs to have special treatment.

Last edited:
Ermm.....as immersion heaters, basically. And, having queried it with my NICEIC assessor last inspection purely through curiosity (why you can't have a 3kW immersion on a plugtop), he in turn didn't know why it was in the regs and asked back with some senior bods at the office, and they didn't know either. Best guess is it's left in from historical purposes and simply hasn't been removed yet!

*** Just to be clear: obviously if the load of your water heater of any capacity exceeds the design capability of the circuit in question then it needs to have special treatment.
I'm pretty sure it's to do with higher earth leakage currents, in the same way as any appliance with high earth leakage (off the top of my head 3.5mA) having to go on it's own circuit or be supplied by a 16A commando plug.

BTW I checked the onsite guide halfway through my last post because I wasn't sure - I wasn't suggesting there are people using 15 litre jug kettles in their kitchen.

Edit: not on it's own circuit, on a FCU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ye gods. Just fit a radial for every socket outlet, your covered that way.
Sizewell “B” would have a smaller switchboard!

I honestly can’t understand this fascination with radials.
Fridge/freezer – Yes
Cooker – Yes

It’s a domestic kitchen for gods sake, it’s not the Ritz, nor is it McD’s serving 1000’s of plates of crap a day!

Reply to Washing machines in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net