Discuss Water heater problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Afternoon everyone,
May I pick your brains? I have a water heater only a couple of years old, she keeps tripping the fuse. I have fitted a new 1200w heater element, new thermostat, new 25amp fuse unit and new wiring. Yet she still keeps blowing the fuse when the overnight low rate power comes on. Any ideas please?

Afternoon everyone,
May I pick your brains? I have a water heater only a couple of years old, she keeps tripping the fuse. I have fitted a new 1200w heater element, new thermostat, new 25amp fuse unit and new wiring. Yet she still keeps blowing the fuse when the overnight low rate power comes on. Any ideas please?

Have, or did you do any testing, apart from switching it on?

I originally tested the element and it was suspect so I decided to change that and the thermostat while I was at it. It still tripped the MCB. I have had problems with mice chewing stuff before so I ran a pair of test wires from the MCB direct to the element. thereby creating a new clean circuit. Still it trips the MCB so I'm a bit baffled.

I originally tested the element and it was suspect so I decided to change that and the thermostat while I was at it. It still tripped the MCB. I have had problems with mice chewing stuff before so I ran a pair of test wires from the MCB direct to the element. thereby creating a new clean circuit. Still it trips the MCB so I'm a bit baffled.
What were the results of the testing you did? sounds like you have, either a faulty element or you have connected it incorrectly.

Does the tank have two elements?

The duel rate water heates ive seen have two elements, an off peak lower element and a boost element towards the top of the tank.

A picture of the controller and tank would help.

You need to adopt a logical approach. Carry out IR tests on both the element and wiring back to the MCB. If all is OK carry out continuity tests on the wiring from the MCB to element terminations. If all OK check the voltage at the supply and load ends, and use a clamp to check the current drawn is compatible with the calculated expected current. If no problems are identified then it is likely the MCB device is either faulty.... or poorly terminated resulting in heat under load at the MCB connections. Also check for temperature rise in adjacent MCB's which may affect the heater MCB.
These sort of faults can always be identified by logical testing, as you have discovered randomly replacing parts is an expensive waste of time, the fault remains and you are no further forward.

Pete999, my test was basic, just a resistance test. the element fitted was brand new. I double checked the connections with the correct wiring diagram, all appears OK.
GBDamo, this heater only has one element. Here in France it is a very common unit. 100 litres with just the one element. The MCB was replaced and has only tripped twice, so I would have thought that should be OK.
Wirepuller, I will do the checks you suggest and get back to you all. absolutely certain it is a 1200w element. But a good thought. The off peak power comes on at 10pm, that is when it trips each time.
As you all suggest, it is something basic, but I'm blowed if I can see it!

My tank is 60 gal and I got 2 5500w elements in my opinion this element working all the time to hold temp and you probably changing this element often

think i know. from your first post. the heater you have got is female. replace with a male one that won't be so temperamental every 4 weeks. :eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Reply to Water heater problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock