Discuss What is this? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was looking at a CU today and couldn’t help noticing it had two supply cables. Does anyone know if this is a DNO loop system from one property to the next (I know the photo isn’t the best). The board is located near the entrance to the property and it is a semi detached house.

1AACCA73-2FC2-4844-B3C2-66B239ED4901.jpeg

almost certain to be loop in and out to next door.

almost certain to be loop in and out to next door.

Thanks for your reply telectrix. I have not come across a incoming supply that looks like the one above before. How would one go about changing the CU in this circumstance without disconnecting the supply to the neighbours? Would it be necessary to contact the DNO before the work was undertaken?

if you pull the fuse, it will only disconnect that house. it will not affect next door. it's an oldish head though so either call DNO or (naughty) pull the Lout from out of the meter (live). then get seal fairy to reseal.

Right, i understand; it cuts the main supply from going to and past the meter of that property but there is still a continuous supply to the next property even with the fuse pulled.

Is it common to find those bare conductors leading from the concentric cable into the earthing terminal on the service head

Is it common to find those bare conductors leading from the concentric cable into the earthing terminal on the service head
Not common but OK. The old head looks like it's been adapted with a newish incomer (and loop on). It's not very common, either, to have an enclosed main earth block, these days. It's getting on a bit but looks in good nick, except for the green main earth looking undersized. Is the g/y bonding conductor 10mm?

Not common but OK. The old head looks like it's been adapted with a newish incomer (and loop on). It's not very common, either, to have an enclosed main earth block, these days. It's getting on a bit but looks in good nick, except for the green main earth looking undersized. Is the g/y bonding conductor 10mm?

I would have to check the size of the g/y earth however, I agree that the main earthing conductor is undersized and looks like a 6mm

Reply to What is this? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net