Discuss What next, dodgy customer.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gringoking88

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

Got called out to a job today where there was 240 volts found between neutral and earth on a cooker circuit (load side only, after the switch). Customer advised me the cooker engineer said it was the switch, I advised I doubted it very much, and my testes indicated it was not this, however, they requested I changed it, I changed it and it wasn't the switch and the fault was still present.

It got to 1700 and I explained I couldn't come back tomorrow as was busy (also said this prior to starting), however, could arrange for another spark to go along and did so with the customers agreement. Go to leave and they barter me down in price, I couldn't be bothered to argue so dropped the price. Sent the customer the invoice and they barter me down further saying the price of the switch was included, again couldn't be bothered to argue so amend my invoice.

Anyway, at the time of leaving, I left the circuit isolated at the board, but am now concerned they will try something dodgy against me, would it be wise to issue a electrical danger notice to cover my bum?

TBH dont really care about the money as its not a lot, but also dont trust the customer as far as I could ----.

Many thanks,

Martin

Considering they knocked the price down and you isolated the job did you not take pic of the job just in case they do it them selfs.

....i think the chaps have stretched the gonads,as far as possible...

To the OP,i would say keep a detailed log,in writing,of ALL your actions and how the job unfolded,and walk away.

Once a customer has deviated the charging or repair method,you have set the benchmark,going back,will probably only allow them to try further.

They more than likely have a kettle...let them have pot-noodles for tea...just consider the lost time and parts,as a minor kick in the coin-purse-jewels ;)

....i think the chaps have stretched the gonads,as far as possible...

To the OP,i would say keep a detailed log,in writing,of ALL your actions and how the job unfolded,and walk away.

Once a customer has deviated the charging or repair method,you have set the benchmark,going back,will probably only allow them to try further.

They more than likely have a kettle...let them have pot-noodles for tea...just consider the lost time and parts,as a minor kick in the coin-purse-jewels ;)
They have definitely stretched my gonads!!!!

Ive kept all messages and emails etc just to try and protect myself should the worse happen, have also sent an email, stressing the need to keep it isolated at the board. I have never issued a danger notice (and still havent, should I?), was just trying to protect myself and to be honest the client, not sure if she is a client come to think of it. :angry:

Think your probably right about the charging, guess i gave an inch and now am worried of having a mile taken.

Thanks for the reply!

Yep,you have done only what improves safety,and some folk cannot or will not,be helped.

I would not take on the great British public...and i can tightrope walk :)

Faced with the same circumstances, I would issue a dangerous installation notice and be done. These people are evidently a pair of mean, tight-fisted opportunists. To hell with them. Who needs customers like this?

I encountered a similar set of circumstances, and learnt a lesson from it.

Never take on a fault finding job, if you can't allocate some considerable time to it, cos sods law will dictate it could take all day or more.

Don't do just a fault finding work on domestic, cos they don't want to pay and invariably its down to the owner/occupier messing around with stuff and being economical with the truth.

They have definitely stretched my gonads!!!!

Ive kept all messages and emails etc just to try and protect myself should the worse happen, have also sent an email, stressing the need to keep it isolated at the board. I have never issued a danger notice (and still havent, should I?), was just trying to protect myself and to be honest the client, not sure if she is a client come to think of it. :angry:

Think your probably right about the charging, guess i gave an inch and now am worried of having a mile taken.

Thanks for the reply!
Gringo go by what your gut feeling is telling you and go back and put a danger notice on it. You will sleep better at night

Reply to What next, dodgy customer.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock