Discuss What Rates should I be getting as a subby in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

John Matrix

Hello everyone I’ve recently become self Employed and it’s going ok. I’ve had a couple of weeks in a Job earning £21 an hour. I’m speaking to people on a regular basis and the question of what rate are you looking for always comes up. I’m just after some feedback on what rates to ask for. I have been getting £21 but I realise this is a top end rate in my area if the country. I don’t wana price my self out by asking for this much money all the time. So Is this too much? Is £21 about right? Or should I be asking for less to make sure I get the work.
Any feedback would be good. I obviously have a lot to learn.

Own tools, transport, insurance.
Assuming that you are doing this yourself, not just an extra pair of hands for someone.

I would not drop below £25 per hour if I were you.

Own tools, transport, insurance.
Assuming that you are doing this yourself, not just an extra pair of hands for someone.

I would not drop below £25 per hour if I were you.
I’m currently subbying to companies and going to jobs working under a site supervisor

In my experience, If you a subby then you get what they are paying
It really depends on the company, area and hours your working
Some companies will negotiate depending on experience but generally they have a set hourly / day rate for subbies and do not ask the subby what he's asking for

You really have to test your market area
And see what price they will pay
You can always cut a special deal for truelly worthy customers,
But if you charge too little everyone will want the cheapest price
So don't charge too little, plenty of people will pay good money for good service
if you charge too little you make it hard for yourself and other sparkies

Good rate for subbing to companies, I only got £15. Think if I continued I would of pushed for more. Have you registered, CIS payments etc?

When you move on to working for yourself & customers, you'll need to revisit.

If you are happy with your rate and as you say it's top in your area, why are you asking us.
Because I’m struggling to get it. But now I’ve had it I don’t wana go lower
[automerge]1583658072[/automerge]
Good rate for subbing to companies, I only got £15. Think if I continued I would of pushed for more. Have you registered, CIS payments etc?

When you move on to working for yourself & customers, you'll need to revisit.
Yes I’m registered CIS. I got £16 and a van on the books so obviously to make it worth it being a subby I wana be on quite a bit more.

I currently charge my colleague (we both have our own businesses) £25.00/hour and I think that's more than reasonable. Take into account I supply a vehicle + fuel + maintenance costs, insurances, NICEIC cost's, test equipment (of a wide variety).
Imagine having to employ someone and supply all that plus holiday pay, pension etc etc etc.

Site rates vary in my area of Surrey , but you are typically looking at £200 per day raising to £250 per day the closer you edge towards London.
I know some guys getting £300 a day in central London area.

If you are working directly for the customer that you can probably get away charging a bit more in my experience

Site rates vary in my area of Surrey , but you are typically looking at £200 per day raising to £250 per day the closer you edge towards London.
I know some guys getting £300 a day in central London area.

If you are working directly for the customer that you can probably get away charging a bit more in my experience
This sounds about right. I was getting slightly more on the last job but I was on a good screw. Hopefully they have me back on the next job. They seemed more than happy with me. The next job is for 6 months.

This sounds about right. I was getting slightly more on the last job but I was on a good screw. Hopefully they have me back on the next job. They seemed more than happy with me. The next job is for 6 months.

Ultimately people will pay you what they think you are worth.
If you are quick and do a good job then you will get top money.
If you are getting £200-250 a day and the work is constant then you are imo onto a good thing

Reply to What Rates should I be getting as a subby in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net