Discuss What to do when you can't get a fixing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

Recently completed the first fix on a small 2 bed house, as soon as you drilled to get a raw plug in, the brick just crumbled away (thats without using hammer setting and using a slightly smaller drill bit). What do you guys do, I've tried cutting bits of wood, but that is quite time consuming when you have a few to do. I was thinking perhaps quick setting concrete, bonding them in, or perhaps drywall adhesive. Any ideas?

Cheers

Tom

I assume its back boxes your struggling with. Slap some bonding in there, should go off pretty quick too, and will be nice and solid. Once it's fully dried you could probably drill, plug and screw it if you want as a bit of extra strength, especially for sockets

If it's for boxes, the quickest way is to keep drilling till you find a good spot(s) then drill a new hole(s) in the box to match.

Next best, keep an assortment of pre-cut wedges of wood handy.(various shapes and sizes)

Yeh its just back boxes, I cut pieces of wood in the end and used them as raw plugs but it took quite a while, just wondered if it would be worth bonding them instead of drilling them as a matter of course on rewires now, as it seems the areas I work in, I have this problem quite a lot

stick 'em in with dry wall adhesive, or a good alternative is the one-coat plaster. next day drill and plug.

Reply to What to do when you can't get a fixing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I was asked to see why a set of sockets weren’t working in the house (which appear to be a ring circuit based on breakers) There was no power on...
Replies
Views
So a quick catch up so you can get an idea… I was asked to do a job for another electrician, as he is too busy. I’m busy myself but said I’d...
Replies
Views
Morning All Got little bit situation going on, causing multiple visits (luckily only 2 mins drive from where we are.) Client not 100% happy with...
Replies
Views
I was working alongside the plumber yesterday. I had to drill some 32mm holes through joists. I always use my Makita 481 high torque drill will a...
Replies
Views
So I just started out recently and I’m struggling with what to price myself at. It’s worth noting I live in the east London area and I’m looking...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock