Discuss What Wholesalers do you use in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

I find with wholesalers it's all to do with the value of your orders and the credit limit on your account.

Very true, more my account is each month the better / friendlier the service is, they're bending over backwards for me at the minute. It is good and makes such a difference thats why I tend to stick with my one local wholesaler where poss even though may pay a little bit higher on some things.

We only use CEF in an emergency - been ripped off to many times in the past. You have to check invoices carefully every month as they regulary make mistakes and overcharge for items presumably hoping you wont notice ( once was charged £50 for a pack of cable ties).

I prefer to deal with local independants where possible and always get a good service and prices from them.

We only use CEF in an emergency - been ripped off to many times in the past. You have to check invoices carefully every month as they regulary make mistakes and overcharge for items presumably hoping you wont notice ( once was charged £50 for a pack of cable ties).

I prefer to deal with local independants where possible and always get a good service and prices from them.

And I thought £7 for an enclosure that we normally pay 76p for was bad!!!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks City's are a joke. I used them for a while a couple of years ago. Totally useless. Overcharging, overinvoicing, agree a quote then charge you more. Whenever I used to ring them for a price it ALWAYS took 3 phone calls before I got one. They employ the people who were turned away from asda. I used to have to go and get all my own bits out of the warehouse because the bouncer (his other job, says it all) on the counter just didn't have a clue. Every CEF branch I've been to has at least one halfwit.

I got an electrafix account but only really usd them once for materials, I was put off by several things: Having to spend 45 mins trawling through a catalogue when Im in a hurry. The fact they don't know what oval conduit (or anything else for that matter) is and dont stock it. Also I bought a panel heater off them, quite a good price I thought, so I get to the job, screw the bracket to the wall and then notice that the heater has:
No heat control
No on/off switch
argggggh!!
The lengths to which they will go to find completely useless gear just to keep prices down is amazing.

Don't think much of edmunson either.

At the moment I pretty much exclusivley use Eyre and Eliston. I have a very good relationship with the people in my local branch and can usually expect good prices without asking. They deliver free if I call before 9 no matter how small. They also almost never make mistakes. I also use a small local chain (Grant and Stone) to a lesser extent but only when buying their special offers because they usually try and sting me a bit.

I normally write a shopping list for materials for a project
I email the wholesalers the material list and I compare all the wholesalers.
normally one wholesaler will give a better price for the project.
maybe I'll need to use 2 wholesalers, but this is not a order it is a costing for a list of materials.
As my larger projects are away from home, I have a company credit card with a £6k credit limit that clears down each month.
As a result I can walk into a wholesaler and buy most if not all the materials for project in one visit.
Personally for the size projects I do, this is sufficient

BTW I do have an account with LPD electrical (a local independent chain that in local to me)

Last edited:
Now just to be different....

I cannot praise CEF in Bury St Edmunds enough!

I then use Eddies/Denmans and Electricfix secondary for JCC or Merlingerin and MK

Now just to be different....

I cannot praise CEF in Bury St Edmunds enough!

I then use Eddies/Denmans and Electricfix secondary for JCC or Merlingerin and MK

To be fair Citys in Yarmouth are good... well if you don't mind having the p... being taken by Scotty Rainbow

I prefer TLC, mostly because their web shop. (I can do my shopping list after work, with a cup of tea.. And next morning I just give them a list and pick up what I need, without the worry that i forget something. And I'll know how much I have to pay.)
Another important thing for me: They are not doing this ridiculous offers. They have fixed price, no extra discounts for friends, or members, etc..

And the dark side: WF and CEF. You never know what you will pay on the end. (For some products you get 30% , for other 50% discount, but on the end is always more then anywhere else.)

I'd agree with t0m4, the TLC website is good. As I'm about 20 miles from the nearest branch, I order online at any time of day or night and they deliver by their own van within 2 or 3 days, so long or heavy items are no problem. Website is easy to use with datasheets for quite a lot of the stuff.

I had a good deal on some rolls of cable the other day at B and aint got a clue, got t them to pricematch CEF but they got the VAT and +VAT prices muddled so i got that knocked off too, i would have bought from Meteor but they had no stock of 2.5mm, so glad i didnt now lol

Reply to What Wholesalers do you use in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net