Search the forum,

Discuss Which Training Provider ? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dilly

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum and so far have found it interesting reading. Like many others I am looking at re-training as a Electrician. I need to keep working in my presant job to keep a wage coming in whilst training. It would be difficult to go to night school because i work a rotating shift patern.
So it looks like the best option would be a distant learning training provider. I have spoken to a few so far, Train 4 Trade Skills and OLCI (which have the nearest centre, in Mansfield) .
Please could anyone offer any information on the above companies and there training courses. A little bit of first hand experience would be much appreciated rather than the hard sell by there sales force. As you proberly know these courses are alot of money and I want to make the right decision.
Many Thanks

Hi im new to the forum too but im currently doing my course with trade qualified,i paid £5000 for my course and ive done my first aid,essential electrics,2377 (in service inspection and testing,or Pat testing as its known),2382 (17th eddition),and defined scope part p.
i have yet to complete my full scope part p and my 2391 (inspection and testing),and get my cscs card
The problem being with these intensive courses is that they are exactly that,there too intensive.ive had to absolutely hammer the books to gain a understanding of my course material.
By all means im not trying to put you off at all,but make sure you have a good understanding of what your signing up before you part with your cash,its gonna be a massive commitment in regards of the reading materials,trying to cram all the info in you need for that time at collage to put it into practice or sit your exams is hard work so dont be nieve like i was.
anyways.......back to the training providers,if i knew then what i know now i would of probably booked individual courses and bought my own books and saved myself a whole load of cash.I booked through trade qualified but all my courses are through ATL in featherstone,ive only been in touch with my tutor once and im three quarters through my course! plus the tutors at ATL have always give us there email in case we get stuck! any queries i usually find on the net first to be honest.
Before you buy id price up individual courses and books,then weigh up what extra service your getting from your provider for the extra cash.Is it worth it?
By the way the virtual house that T4TS use is meant to be pants according to some lads i was at collage with.
cheers......dave

An apprenticeship will always teach you those things you just can't learn at college. They are not fun, but they are worthwhile (As long as the company does not use you just for cheap labour)

Hi Dave,
Thanks for reply. When you say its very intensive, how many hours of study were you doing a week and is there a time limit in which you have to complete the course.
Also when said you would book individual courses and obtain your own books, who would you book the courses with ? The same provider ?
Cheers Trev

Hi Chronyx,
Thanks for your reply, I understand the benefits of a apprenticeship, having completed one in a different industry.I know that college work alone is no substitute for the hands experience you gain whilst in your apprenticeship. The problem is finding someone who is going to offer you an apprenticeship and also going to pay you a decent wage along the way. I have a friend who has his own electrical contracting business and I intend to labour for him around around my current shifts to gain as much hands on experience as possible whilst studying for the qualifications. (I understand I may have to offer my sevices free of charge just to gain the experience)
Many Thanks.

Was your previous apprenticeship in a trade? I'm sure it will still be relevant, and put you one step ahead of the college/theory only guys. :icon14:

You're totally right about the sh*t side of apprenticeships too :laugh3:

The more you read the better,not just the books but also reading into the terminoligy they use within the books to get a propper understanding of what your learning.
When i say its intense i mean in the classroom. There's so much to go over with so little time to do it,for instance when applying calculations to certain circuits you tend to get shown once on the board before you move onto the next thing,you flash over things and dont take it all in,you then have to go over it all again at home to familiarise yourself to it.
With my training provider there's no time limit,they advise 80 hours of revision on 2 books before you book your first week practical and exam(s) at collage .
After your first weeks completed you study for another 80 hours on different books before booking your 2nd week at collage and so on till you've completed 4 weeks in total,the idea being is to gradually build up the knowledge as the weeks progress but its just not enough time.
Here's the reality.....how long is an apprentiship? 3-4 years? its that long cos thats a realistic timescale to put on it,so if you want to try and acheive that sort of level its gonna take a hell of a lot of commitment and willing to learn,and thats only the theory,practical skills come with time on the tools.
Iike i said im not trying to put you off,but keep things in perspective.
I cant put a time on how much you need to read cos it all depends on how you take it in and understand it,and how much you want to know.

Basically my provider is trade qualified,they book my course through ATL and charge me for the privilige.
There was also blokes who used T4TS and was at ATL in my group so i presume thats the same situation?
Id give them a ring and price up all the courses your providers offering,the books will cost you around £300-£400 if there not included.
The main books you'll need are...... essential electrics (to start you off really)
on site guide
BS7671 17th eddition
Electricity at work regs 1989 (for exam reference)
inspection and testing-guidance note 3
part p of the building regs (downloadable for free)
code of practice for in service inspection and testing (pat if thats what you wanna do?)

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum and so far have found it interesting reading. Like many others I am looking at re-training as a Electrician. I need to keep working in my presant job to keep a wage coming in whilst training. It would be difficult to go to night school because i work a rotating shift patern.
So it looks like the best option would be a distant learning training provider. I have spoken to a few so far, Train 4 Trade Skills and OLCI (which have the nearest centre, in Mansfield) .
Please could anyone offer any information on the above companies and there training courses. A little bit of first hand experience would be much appreciated rather than the hard sell by there sales force. As you proberly know these courses are alot of money and I want to make the right decision.
Many Thanks

I don't know if this is of any help, but years ago i took my 16th edition at Technique Training in Mansfield, i dont know if they are still in business, but back then they were very good. It may be worth a call to see if they will do a distance learning course.

Cheers..........Howard

Hi mate, Train4trade skills are excellent. I just took their bronze course and passed every exam. Even with a few thickies in the class the pass rate was over 95%. The most daunting course was the 17th edition, which was only over 2 and a half days, but saying that there was a 100% pass rate. I'm like you, retraining to start up on my own. The key thing with any course you go on is to ask as many questions as you can, even if you think they're stupid.....cos when the course is over, that's it.

I am not sure about other training providers but I can certainly vouch for Able Skills in Dartford. I chose them for the qualifications after having been in the field for 15 odd years as an electrical labourer/mate and even so found them very effective in their teaching with especial emphasis on inspection and testing. My views do not extend to the 5 day part P course. Cheers

Reply to Which Training Provider ? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net