Discuss Why Did I Get A SHock Today?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

piz

Hello People
I Started a rewire today connected 6 lights and switches in different rooms when I connected the circuit to c/u I noticed I had a fault removed the fuse to change sw/live with netural
and got a belt
the system is single phase tt
the only thing I can think would it be a borrowed netural perhaps from the ring main
When I test net to earth no voltage was present

ok a few more questions.

1 did you wire the full circuit or is it a partial rewire?
2 If a partial rewire did you teast the circuit before starting?
3 How much electrical experiance you got?
4 had you disconnected the correct neutral? If not you would get a neutral fault and thay can hurt.
5 Did you test the complete circuit before you installed into CU? (obvious you didnt otherwise you wouldnt have got a shock)
6 If its a tt system have you got any earth? if there was no earth then you would not get a P.D from N.E so no voltage so prove your earth if any.

Last edited:
did you wire the full circuit or is it a partial rewire?
full circuit re wired
2 If a partial rewire did you teast the circuit before starting?
3 How much electrical experiance you got?
17th edition and 2391 nic domestic insatller but 1st rewire (3 years)
4 had you disconnected the correct neutral? If not you would get a neutral fault and thay can hurt.
No never tested circuit nobody living in house just thought switch on getting bit dark but will do all tests tomorrow left switched off over night
5 Did you test the complete circuit before you installed into CU? (obvious you didnt otherwise you wouldnt have got a shock)
6 If its a tt system have you got any earth? if there was no earth then
yes Earth continuity but only 6mm at the mo but will be ten when I have finished

ok thanks
Prob be Thursday by the time I test ans post all results
I will test tom what is there and again when I have finished if that makes sense
rcd is there but does not trip when button is pressed
but new dual rcd to be fitted along with the re wire

Reply to Why Did I Get A SHock Today?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net