Discuss Will a hybrid inverter and lifepo4 battery work as UPS? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

pinay5544

DIY
Reaction score
I live in the Philippines where the power is bad, we have constant outages and when it does work the voltage ranges from 160-255v and the hz ranges from 52-65.
I had a UPS which I had replaced the battery with a bigger one but it finally blew up and now I have nothing as a backup and before I spend any money I would like to ask if I could use a 1kw hybrid inverter with a 12v100ah lifepo4 battery solely plugged into the mains?

I only need this to function like a backup for a load with an extreme peak of 400w but mainly will sit below 100w.
The reason I am considering this setup is because a standard UPS is simply not designed to supply power for hours and I need something which will be OK with that.

This is the 12v inverter I was thinking of

Also, it states 20a max charging but the battery I was looking at was 30a charging at 12v, am I correct in thinking that translates to a pull of around 1.6a on the 230v mains supply? and If I am using it at the same time with a 400w load that the pull would be around 3.3a in total for both charging the battery and passing through power to my equipment?.

I apologize for these questions but I am a novice with this and would like to seek help from professionals before I go ahead and do something stupid.

I feel for you! In your situation I think I'd be looking to put together something based around a battery bank and invertors, that charges when you have power and discharges when you don't - like an emergency system does. However, the chances of doing that at a scale suitable for domestic, at anything like a realistic cost, and probably availability of imported parts is slim.

That said.... a decent leisure battery can be trickle charged constantly on a standard car battery charger that's pretty forgiving at what it receives, and a 3kW invertor will get you a steady 230v at 12-13A for a good few hours. You'd then just have a conventional UPS to see you through the cross-over between the two when power goes down. If you have access to the parts and the confidence / skills to do the work, I'm sure there's a few of us on here could design a system and talk you through it.

Reply to Will a hybrid inverter and lifepo4 battery work as UPS? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net