Discuss Wiring a kitchen and where you put appliance sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I suppose by not cutting it off,it saves all the potential pain of argument with the supplier or maintenance people when it goes pear shaped
In legal circles I would think the manufacturer would not have a leg to stand on if it was adapted by an electrician and the case went to court

I worked in a kitchen refit with very few 'adjacent' units to put my sockets in. DP switches above, as always... but the unit under the sink had a socket for dishwasher, washing maching, stupid quooker water boiler, all the pipes and drains and the aforementioned quooker. All squashed into a 500mm wide base unit.

I don't cut plugs off appliances as sometimes I work in rented accommodation and the things need PAT tested on occasion.

I have recently been putting them on flying leads as well, is this a no-no? We have established it is a really bad idea to have the socket on the "fabric" of the building behind the appliance. We have also established that it is not good to drill holes in new base units, or to put sockets in cupboards that are going to get filled up with stuff, so where the *** do you put the socket, assuming you can't cut the plug off? We don't half make life hard for ourselves don't we, maybe the JFDI approach is the way to go.

Cutting the plug top off isn't a no no, all warranties should still be valid if connected to a SFCU. Trouble with that is, either with flex outlet plate or conduit up the wall to the spur, is that the integrated appliance and kitchen will be in place by then. Sod dismantling it. And as good as the kitchen fitters are that I work with are, they are kitchen fitters and not Sparks, so getting them to connect to a flex outlet plate I'd rather not!

The only downside of trailing sockets for me is that if the appliance develops a fault the fuse in the appliance plug will pop and it's gonna take a little time to remove the kickboards to get at it. But with everything LED now any faults are likely to be a lot more serious to fix than just a lamp blowing.

Reply to Wiring a kitchen and where you put appliance sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net