Discuss Worried and need advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Over the last week or so I have noticed that every now and then there is either one loud bang
/pop noise, or a few loud bang/pop noises in short succession. At the exact same time of the bang, my bedside lamp flickers off, then back on again. I am unaware if any other lights flicker, I have only witnessed my lamp doing so (I am disabled so spend the majority of my time in bed).
We have had rats that have got into the house recently (we have poison down and are trying to get rid of them). I suffer badly with anxiety (which mainly revolves around my pets and the possibility of a house fire). Hearing these bangs and seeing the light flicker has really ramped my anxiety up ?

Can anyone either reassure me that there's no need to worry, or tell me that yes I should worry? I'm honestly scared to go to sleep, in fear of what may happen ?

We had rats a few years ago and they chewed the wires very close to our fuse box that time, resulting in one day smelling smoke from the meter cupboard and needing a section of rewiring done. We never had this bang and light flicker issue then though.

It is possible that the wiring is damaged, either by rodents or some other cause. A marginal short-circuit that is occasionally arcing could give the symptoms that you describe, although typically the relevant circuit breaker in the consumer unit would trip sooner or later.

Because your bedside lamp flickers, it seems to be a socket-outlet circuit that is affected. An intermittent connection might be interrupting the supply both to the lamp and one or more appliances in other rooms that are the source of the noise, e.g. a TV will sometimes emit a pop from its speaker when the supply glitches off.

At the moment we have little information to go on, so the best advice I can offer is to get it investigated soon.

Unfortunately that would fit in with cable damage due to the rats, so your really ought to get it checked by a professional soon.

Also what kind of consumer unit / fuse box do you have? If it is the type with the rewirable fuses they are less likely to disconnect on a very short fault.

@OP. you really must get this checked out. as my previous post , you may be within my area of operations. also, there are 1 or 2 sparks probablycloser to you. keep up to date with any replies on the forum. one of us will be able to sort it out for you.

Just a little update to this.

My next door neighbour had just told us that their power is off and has been since this morning. A gent from electricity northwest has just arrived and said that the popping noise I heard and the flickering was likely voltage dropping and that something is shorting underground, between our house and our neighbour. Apparently the electric goes through our house and loops around into the neighbours house.

They are still going to check inside our house though, just in case.

My next door neighbour had just told us that their power is off and has been since this morning. A gent from electricity northwest has just arrived and said that the popping noise I heard and the flickering was likely voltage dropping and that something is shorting underground, between our house and our neighbour. Apparently the electric goes through our house and loops around into the neighbours house.

sounds like a looped supply. its usually the case that when an issue arises they remove the loop and run separate supply cables into each property. have to wait for the DNO to do their bit then.

I hope the Northwest get it sorted.
It might be worth getting somebody to look at your mains cold water pressure & central heating (air locks, pump etc) if nothing comes up in the investigation.

Yes, ours are wired in to the mains and have back up batteries (which were changed not all that long ago as they were chirping). One in the hallway and one on the landing.
add a heat rise detector in the kitchen. saved my life and that of the dogs when i forgot the chip pan and it set alight.

Just a further update to this...

At 9pm last night out supply was cut off for safety, until they could get a mini digger out this morning.
The power coming into our house was fine, but there was an issue with it going back out and to the neighbours, which is why they had no power at all, it was bouncing back or something (very technical I know ?). This bouncing back was what was apparently causing the pops and flickering of the lights.
After digging a huge hole this morning, they found it was a very old lead cable that was the problem, it had degraded and water from the ground had gotten into it.

I hope this all makes sense ?

Hopefully the problem has been resolved!

Thank you all again for your input and help, it really is much appreciated! ❤️

Just a further update to this...

At 9pm last night out supply was cut off for safety, until they could get a mini digger out this morning.
The power coming into our house was fine, but there was an issue with it going back out and to the neighbours, which is why they had no power at all, it was bouncing back or something (very technical I know ?). This bouncing back was what was apparently causing the pops and flickering of the lights.
After digging a huge hole this morning, they found it was a very old lead cable that was the problem, it had degraded and water from the ground had gotten into it.

I hope this all makes sense ?

Hopefully the problem has been resolved!

Thank you all again for your input and help, it really is much appreciated! ❤️

Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for letting us know!

Reply to Worried and need advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net