Discuss Wylex consumer units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mark S

Hiya,

I have received a coupe of quotes for electrical work that I need doing.

One is supply and fit, the other quote for fitting only.

However, on the supply and fit, I have been quoted a ridiculous price for some Wylex circuit breakers. £4.55 each in Screwfix, whereas I have been quoted £15 by the supply and fit sparky.

I don't know however, whether the consumer unit I have takes either Type B or Type C, bearing in mind the board is approx. 20 yrs old.

Any ideas anyone?

c or b type won't cost £15, however what is the actual breakdown of the quote in total, it would be interesting to see it, perhaps there is something we don't know about, it is rare a c type is used in domestic situations, but not impossible.

I had to buy one recently for an old wylex and that was £12, are they the ones with a big exposed flat head screw on the bottom? Type b or c will fit

Mark S

Need to know what Wylex MCB's they are ?
Also it would be good to know what they have quoted for ie the works you want doing
For me i hate a first time poster that asks about prices but does not state all of what they want doing (you may have a so called sparky doing it for cheap for cash etc etc)
Please post as much info so we all can give some good feed back :)

You cant just fit either a type B or C just because they fit........each breaker has a different max Zs value to meet disconnection times and if the type of breaker is being changed/replaced/added to a new circuit the Zs will need to be measured first.
I know that but thats up to the op's sparky to figure out, all i was saying is that they are both of the same physical size

Hiya,

However, on the supply and fit, I have been quoted a ridiculous price for some Wylex circuit breakers. £4.55 each in Screwfix, whereas I have been quoted £15 by the supply and fit sparky.

I don't know however, whether the consumer unit I have takes either Type B or Type C, bearing in mind the board is approx. 20 yrs old.

Any ideas anyone?

You cant just fit either a type B or C just because they fit........each breaker has a different max Zs value to meet disconnection times and if the type of breaker is being changed/replaced/added to a new circuit the Zs will need to be measured first.

Still very rare to use a C type in a domestic situation, however not impossible of course, the wxlex MCBs which are 20 years old could be the push in button type which fit into the old 3036 carrier, they are around a fiver each, still waiting for the total breakdown cost here :crazy:

it's standard practice to add a surcharge onto supplied parts, but 200% seems a bit steep. maybe your sparky gave you a low quote to snare the job and is trying to claw a bit back on the extras. if you're unhappy, tell him that you'd like to source all the gear - just make sure you've got everything he needs when he needs it.

More than I would charge for parts but its like saying brake pads are only a couple of quid but you pay more to get them fitted. You are paying for someones skill to install the item correctly, nobody ever challenges a builder on the price to put up a wall - how much are bricks and a bit of cement?

The spark has to guarentee all works for a twelve month period really if he is any good, although at a fiver a piece I would suggest 6-6.50 max per breaker to the customer, but again unless we see the whole quote and breakdown of works we cannot say either way IMO.

The supply and fit chap wants £125 - £50 labour, £45 cable, £15 for the breaker, and £15 for the pull switch.

The fit only chap wants £30 for the labour, and I can get the parts for £50.

Hiya,

Any ideas anyone?

Suggest you go to Screwfix, buy the one they have and then try and fit it to your 2o year old board. My guess it that you are not comparing apples with apples.

The supply and fit chap wants £125 - £50 labour, £45 cable, £15 for the breaker, and £15 for the pull switch.

The fit only chap wants £30 for the labour, and I can get the parts for £50.

You need to tell us what you need else we're all guessing. £30.00 for labour?

Also what about the certification and notification - its a new circuit so its notifiable.

As a self employed spark myself I wouldn't work for you personally, the guy concerned probably runs a van and has insurance, the costs for labour and materials cover his costs, if a customer of mine told me he could get the kit for 50 quid as he had looked at it I would run a mile in 2 minutes lol, is the guy who wants 30 quid only labour a qualified bonafide sparky?

Reply to Wylex consumer units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net