Discuss 150amp Residential Panel- Wire 2/0 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Looking for some input on se wire sizing. I recently rewired the service coming into my residential home (single phase). I am in NY and pulled permits for the work.

What was installed:
2/0 aluminum se wire through 2" rigid conduit mast with weatherhead to new meter socket. From meter socket I ran 2/0 aluminum se to new 150amp panel (6ft run)

I spoke to National Grid electrician (power company in my area) who advised me to use the 2/0 aluminum se wire. He signed off on the work after seeing it complete. I had the town come in to inspect the wiring and new panel and was told by the town inspector the 2/0 is under sized and I need to run 4/0 wire.

It seems either the town inspector or the power company is misinformed. What is the appropriate size wire for a 150amp panel? If is is indeed typically 2/0 aluminum, would a town inspector wanting to see a 4/0 be typical?

Im willing to jump through the hoops and redo the wire but i also dont want to spend money and time if i dont need to.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Looking for some input on se wire sizing. I recently rewired the service coming into my residential home (single phase). I am in NY and pulled permits for the work.

What was installed:
2/0 aluminum se wire through 2" rigid conduit mast with weatherhead to new meter socket. From meter socket I ran 2/0 aluminum se to new 150amp panel (6ft run)

I spoke to National Grid electrician (power company in my area) who advised me to use the 2/0 aluminum se wire. He signed off on the work after seeing it complete. I had the town come in to inspect the wiring and new panel and was told by the town inspector the 2/0 is under sized and I need to run 4/0 wire.

It seems either the town inspector or the power company is misinformed. What is the appropriate size wire for a 150amp panel? If is is indeed typically 2/0 aluminum, would a town inspector wanting to see a 4/0 be typical?

Im willing to jump through the hoops and redo the wire but i also dont want to spend money and time if i dont need to.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Brandon welcome to the forum and the power company had no reason to talk to you about how to size your wire. As far as what the inspector told you tells me that he’s looking at it like a 200 amp service. Having said that you need to go with 2/0 copper which cost a little more than aluminum but it’s half the size and much easier to bend. From the meter to your panel is not a lot of wire so go with copper. Good luck

Thank you for the reply. I hadn't thought of copper, that should save my wrists some trouble. Would you recommend also running the cooper up the mast or just leave the 2/0 in ran in there?

I believe the issue was the wire coming in from the pole is only rate up to 150amp, so the power company said that would be the max I could run without having to pay to have that line replaced. Its about a 60ft run so I was trying to avoid that.

I only spoke to the power company because the weatherhead was pulled off my house in a storm and they were out to attach it until I could get a new mast to swap it to.

Ive been trying to get ahold of our local inspector about this but he hasnt returned my calls since last wednesday. I really appreciate you helping me with this, i just want to get it buttoned up so I can have the power turned back on.

Attachments

• 150amp Residential Panel- Wire 2/0 IMG_20201017_145610 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20201017_145610.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 150amp Residential Panel- Wire 2/0 IMG_20201016_144745 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20201016_144745.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 7
Thank you for the reply. I hadn't thought of copper, that should save my wrists some trouble. Would you recommend also running the cooper up the mast or just leave the 2/0 in ran in there?

I believe the issue was the wire coming in from the pole is only rate up to 150amp, so the power company said that would be the max I could run without having to pay to have that line replaced. Its about a 60ft run so I was trying to avoid that.

I only spoke to the power company because the weatherhead was pulled off my house in a storm and they were out to attach it until I could get a new mast to swap it to.

Ive been trying to get ahold of our local inspector about this but he hasnt returned my calls since last wednesday. I really appreciate you helping me with this, i just want to get it buttoned up so I can have the power turned back on.
Brandon don’t worry about the power company. They can run smaller wire because it is in free air. I’ve got to admit I’ve never heard of a power company talking about your wire. Yes I would take out the aluminum wire going up to the service mast and replace it with 2/0 copper also. Tell the power company to shut the h—- up because they are not inspectors. If you do as I said you shouldn’t have any problems with the power company and it will pass inspection

If the panel is 150A, it does not need 4/0 AL wire, 2/0 AL is fine, that being said 150A & 200A panels cost the same the only increase in cost is the wire. I always considered 150 & 175A residential panels as a oddity, harder to find in a pinch, but things vary regionally too

Reply to 150amp Residential Panel- Wire 2/0 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock