Discuss 1700 series in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
so do any of you know if megger have sorted out there issues with 1700 series, have the money here and burning hole in my pocket...

from 1 expierienced electrician to a newbe wanting to wire the world in t\7e

ive been quoted £820 for megger 1730 all in

so do any of you know if megger have sorted out there issues with 1700 series, have the money here and burning hole in my pocket...

from 1 expierienced electrician to a newbe wanting to wire the world in t\7e

ive been quoted £820 for megger 1730 all in

Dont know, but i havent has any issues "yet" with mine, and is that price including VAT if so id say that is a very good price. I paid that price +vat.

would you have bought a cheaper version if could track back...... like metrel easi test or something which has good reviews....

tbh i may have considered a megger 1553 or something if i could have found a brand new one but none were available at the time i was looking. didnt fancy a second hand one.

try test-meter ( forum sponsor ) try for a 1552/3, much cheaper and with a proven track record. nothing wrong with a 2nd hand unit if it's got a recent cal. cert.

sure the say discontinued try 1700 series,,,,

the metrel has good reviews,

your views

i dont want one thats is big price and it acting the wack.. so want one

look ,....i like the metrel.....dont like the bloody straps on it though...the amount of times i`v had to stop what i`m doing to sort em out as the damn thing was going to end up on the floor.....

ERROR 23 on 1700 series seems to be a known fault 2 or our firms have had to go for repair its rcd over heat protection FOC repair
iv got my personal 1553 available 2yrs old but not bee "used" much as i got it for a specific job and used employers since pm if your interested

I have the 1720. Megger as a brand was recommended to me by a local spark/mate his company has 3, although all 1552. I have had no major issues with mine but it isn't a year old yet. People say the 1700 is prone to taking out some RCD's on Zs testing, I have experienced this on one site only where the earthing was TT and the RCD was in the main tails before the CU, anything I did set off the damn thing, apparently there is a work around by swapping the polarity of the test leads. Other than that I have had no problems. If asked if I wouldbuy another Megger I would have to think hard. I hear of a lot less problems with Fluke stuff and I've heard the carry case's are better.

well i have noticed a spate of fluke 1651, 1652 and 1653s doing the rounds on ebay of late......most of em with error1 on the screen.....from what i can gather its a PCB issue with em and is about £160 ish to get repaired.....and it dont just stop there either....i know that kewtechs were having issues with the KT64, KT65 and the KT66.....something to so with the rotary switch on em..when i asked the guy on the kewtech stand about this and whether it had been sorted he tried to deny it of course...hmm.......the problem here with MFTs nowadays is they are trying to cram more n more features into a lighter instrument thats also expected to do a phase to phase PSCC.....somethings gotta give someware.....

im defo cosidering the metrel.. as it has good reviews
nowt wrong with the metrel....as i have already pointed out....just keep your eye on the straps....overwise they detach from the instrument....and you just know its gonna happen when your aloft someware...or up some steps/ladders or summat..lol....
Another thing that can get annoying is the way that the test leads just kind of "sprout" out of the plug....i hate that i do.....the leads on mine are seperate.....but all interface with the meter in close proximity to each other....so i just taped them together at regular intervals but left about 500mm at the end for C/U access.....but this keeps em tidy.......

Yep Fluke case has good storage plus its a great seat as well but the megger case is just cumbersome and I also highlighted this to the megger man in Scotland but I dont think he got it as he said I cant see there is a problem well I said I like the 1553 as it is a good all round tester but because of limited space you cannot store any extra leads plus carrying it up a flight of stairs is an issue with your tools and the extra bags you need for your extra leads and bits and bobs. The thing is he just did not get it

Yep Fluke case has good storage plus its a great seat as well but the megger case is just cumbersome and I also highlighted this to the megger man in Scotland but I dont think he got it as he said I cant see there is a problem well I said I like the 1553 as it is a good all round tester but because of limited space you cannot store any extra leads plus carrying it up a flight of stairs is an issue with your tools and the extra bags you need for your extra leads and bits and bobs. The thing is he just did not get it
nor did the kewtech guy when i was asking about whether they had sorted out the issues with the rotary switches on the 64, 65 and 66.....apparently there was a recall on some of these units to be fitted with an upgraded switch....a lot of problems when in low ohms....

megger case got ditched lead sets now in a "boot bag" from sports direct and the frequently used ones are in same wee tote as hand tools and tester
Ikea do a day sack/laptop bag that Im considering as it halfs with front part being large enough for notebook and tester and rear part well big enough for BGB ect ect and lesser used leads ,adaptors ect

My 1730 knocks out RCDs, and RCBOs, its a pain in the butt. Also gives diffrent readings on high and no trip setting! and one of my leads is broken. Have you seen the price of a set of leads!!! and if you using it continusly then leads will fail, but thats taking the pee.... but saying that i like it..

edit.. just found some cheap leads :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont know much about testers as ivenever owned one, and thanks for the offer moggs, but new looks like the way forward to staart with....

Reply to 1700 series in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net