Discuss 17th edition exam in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Nicebloke

About to take my 17th edition exam and when I did the 16th edition is was on old fashioned paper (who remembers that). Am I correct in assuming that within the 2 hours I can go back and forth to any questions I have answered to check them and if necessary change the answer. Also do I get the results immediately when I finish the exam or is a matter of waiting for the postman?

I have read from those who have taken the exam how easy it is because all the answers are in the iee book, but perhaps I am the exception because I am struggling to find the answer to many questions within the average 2 minutes, as where I think the answer will be it isn't there and I'm often going all over the place. I got some past exam papers, but I can't even trust the answers at the end of each exam because some have the wrong answers (serves me right for buying them from ebay).

Yes you can go back and review answers or any that you weren't sure off. The rest I cannot remember.

Hi - yes you can move fwd or back and change answers etc. Just remember to put an answer for all questions. The results are available immediately, with paper certs coming by post. My method was to pick keywords out of the question and use the contents, definitions and index to find the text needed. Make sure you don't write on your book, but you can highlight and use tags to flip to chapters quicker. For me, I did feel that I'd earned it when I did it. Good Luck !

The rest is covered above but also remember that the exam is in the order of the wiring regulations so the first questions relate to chapter one, then the next few chapter two, then chapter three and so on. So if you have just answered a question where the answer is in chapter four the next answer will either still be in chapter four or in chapter five, but the nature of the question should tell you which.

Thanks for the info guys, at least getting the results at the time means I can have a drink to celebrate or to feel sorry for myself, and then fork out £150 if it's the latter.

the way i suggest is to go through the questions answering those that you can answer correctly without opening the regs. flag any you're unsure of.then go through the flagged ones with the regs.open, answer the easiest ones first. then back to the few that are still flagged. iirc, i did about 40 before i opened the regs. finished in 1 hour, scored 55/60.

the way i suggest is to go through the questions answering those that you can answer correctly without opening the regs. flag any you're unsure of.then go through the flagged ones with the regs.open, answer the easiest ones first. then back to the few that are still flagged. iirc, i did about 40 before i opened the regs. finished in 1 hour, scored 55/60.

Thats what I did

Many thanks to hightower for emailing me a book which is really helpful.

I can't seem to get a clear answer with regards putting tabs at different sections of the iee book during the exam. Would anyone know for sure if i can use tabs which I can write on with specific ref points noted on.

Also can I write on a piece of paper what questions I have missed or want to double check, or is paper not allowed on the exam?

Ask for a sheet of paper, if one is not provided, at the exam time. You cannot write notes on the tabs.

If you go to the City and guilds website and find 2382 and look under the documents tab...additional documents this tells you what is permitted. i.e for C&G 2382 the only book is BS7671.

I have appended the additional information below:

All publications permitted must not include any additional sheets or printed documents with the exception of published corrigenda or amendments.
IET wiring regulations books taken into examinations can contain the following:
• Bookmarks (eg blank post-it notes, post-it notes numbered to indicate chapters or corners of pages folded)
• Highlighting of text
• The Corrigendum, issued by the IET as a supplement to the wiring regulations in 2013.
IET wiring regulations books taken into exams cannot contain the following:
• Sample exam questions, answers or diagrams
• Any writing in the regulations or accompanying written notes
• Notes, diagrams or any content that may in anyway advantage the candidate in answering questions within the exam.
It is the responsibility of the centre to ensure the material in the candidate's IET Requirements to Electrical Installations cannot unfairly advantage candidates in any way. If there is any doubt over the suitability of content the publication should not be used and replaced with 'clean' regulations. Many centres may find it easier to continue using 'clean' regulations.

I did a shed load of sample exam questions (possibly the same as the book Hightower gave you?). Whilst the wording changes, the answers are the same and on the day I remembered where to look in the BYB. One piece of advice I received, for all exams, was to read the question thoroughly. Whilst I don't think there are double negative questions in 2832, sometimes trying to rush things can lead you down the wrong path.

Reply to 17th edition exam in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net