Discuss 3 phase RCCB tripped, won't reset in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Good to hear you found a clear problem and it is now fixed!

Don't worry about the N-E voltage if it is less than tens of volts, a couple of volts is perfectly normal.

pc1966 that seems to send the wrong message i.e. that a N-E fault is nothing to worry about?
No, an N-E fault is a serious business, but if you are seeing 3V between N & E it is a good indication there is not such a fault!

Basically my point is the neutral voltage will not be exactly zero in real life, and if it is below tens of volts then it is within the sort of range that is probably OK. If you see more than the order of 5-10 or so volts it would be worrying as that contributing possibly above its share of the 5% drop in supply that might be considered normal-ish.

Qualified by the fact that this particular installation is known to be TT, so it's reasonable to expect N & E to be at different voltages. Wherease on a TN-C-S system, significant voltage between N & E at the origin, or between PEN and something extraneous, would merit investigation.

naylorpd: May I ask why and what took you to Azerbaijan? Just curious. No insult will be taken by me if it is none of my business to know.

@marconi no problem...
Back in 1997 my accounting career was in a bit of a rut, my employer was slowly going down the tubes and I had started job-hunting, not very successfully. I went on hols and came back to look in the Financial Times for the Thursday when I was away, that's when all the financial jobs appear. There was one for BP in Azerbaijan - after I'd figured out where that was I applied, really just for the interview experience with no expectation. I was interviewed by my prospective boss and we really hit it off. Three months later I was here.

My first thought was to do about 3 years, make a bit of money and come back to the UK to start afresh. But in the first month I met my wife-to-be, who was a young opera singer. It took a bit of time to get going but eventually we married and started home-building here. Twenty three years later, here I am still.

Reply to 3 phase RCCB tripped, won't reset in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net