Discuss 3 phase socket in a shop in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nrbspark

Hi Guys

I have been asked to price a job in a sun bed shop, the work would include adding a 3 phase + N DB and running 4 supplies to the new beds using SWA cable. My questions are as follows.

1. Is it ok to install a 3 phase + N supply in a shop where the general public have access.

2. Is it ok to put a switched socket outlet at the end of the supplying cable or should it be a switched fused isolator (socket would allow the shop staff to move the beds if required).

3. Should I include RCD protection to the outlets.

Any help would be appreciated as commercial is not my usual area.

Cheers

1. Is it ok to install a 3 phase + N supply in a shop where the general public have access.

Yes, a lot of shops have 3 phase supplies

2. Is it ok to put a switched socket outlet at the end of the supplying cable or should it be a switched fused isolator (socket would allow the shop staff to move the beds if required).
I would use interlocked sockets so the plug cannot be removed while the equipment is switched on or inserted if the socket is live if the beds need to be moved but it would probably cheaper to use an isolator.

3. Should I include RCD protection to the outlets.
Yes

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers UNG much appreciated just 1 more thing though, would you fit the RCD in the main isolator of the DB or would you give them all separate ones in the locking socket outlets? and am I right in thinking that they would have to be 100ma or would it be 30ma as in a domestic installation?

I would fit separate 30mA RCD's / RCBO's at the DB for each bed, this will remove the risk of the bed user attempting to reset it if it trips

For sockets I would use the Lewden Moulded Interlocked Switch Sockets PM32/3308 for the 32A unit but 63A available if you need it

I agree that interlocked switched socket outlets would be best. You don't want customers just plugging anything in. RCBOs would reduce loss of business if a bed developes a fault.

RCD protection to sockets in a hairdressers

Hello, I've been to look at a hairdressers which has a Wylex rewirable fuseboard installed. The owner wants it replacing along with earth and bonding upgrade. If it's only the staff using the sockets, do they need to be rcd protected?

Cheers, Gez

Sorry about that post, I meant to put it in the main bit.

Gez

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, if you are replacing the board then why would you not want to put the sockets on an RCD. Just because they are staff does not mean they are immune to electric shocks:)

Reply to 3 phase socket in a shop in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net