Discuss 315A sub-main options in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A potential customer of ours was asking about having more power made available. Just now it is just a casual request and it looks like they want 9-10 * 32A TPN supplies so, say, 315A total. We can get that much easily from the bus-bar chamber around 100m away but from a moment on an on-line calculator:
  • I am not relishing the prospect of wrangling 240mm cable in to a suitable MCCB board even with professional help.
  • Maybe better to put in two 160A sub-mains and then 70mm and a pair of 250A MCB boards?
  • Or three 100/125A supplies on 35/50mm to 125A boards?
Just to gather thoughts should it ever get to the stage of actually designing and costing it.

TL;DR How much parallelisation is sensible?

Last edited:
240mm seems a lot bigger than necessary for 315A 100m run.
It does seem a bit big, both Doncaster and Elan calculators give it though:

However, data sheet for Prysmian would suggest 150mm in duct is good for 315A.

It does seem a bit big, both Doncaster and Elan calculators give it though:

However, data sheet for Prysmian would suggest 150mm in duct is good for 315A.
It's all down to the installation method I suppose. For some reason I thought because of the mention of a bus-bar chamber it would be on cable tray🤨🤨🤨.

It's all down to the installation method I suppose. For some reason I thought because of the mention of a bus-bar chamber it would be on cable tray🤨🤨🤨.
It can go through part of the building on tray/ladder, but probably at least a section of it to 30-40m would go underground in duct.

Just now I am thinking that 2 * 160A 70mm supplies (with 35mm CPC added in parallel to armour) would fit the bill, meeting 5s disconnect on the cable to 100m or so and also good selectivity with both main fuses and MCBs.

Still to find out what they actually want or if they are willing to pay for it! Having said that, the annual bill for power is likely to be far more than the installation costs...

Reply to 315A sub-main options in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net