Discuss 4kw on block of flats - EPC Exempt??? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We are quoting for a 4kw system on a block of flats, going into the landlord's supply so the residents will not benefit. There is no heating in the communal areas, just lighting for the stairs - any ideas on EPC??

Yes it needs an EPC and planning permission. Flats don't come under permitted development. If the flats are leased the permission of the freeholder is needed too. I have a flat that I rent out and I'm just starting this process now.

If it is a dedicated block of flats (e.g. no shops on ground floor) then it would come under the existing domestic permitted development. If not then it would be permitted development from 6th April in England when the new rules come in.

As for EPC I've no idea but the exact wording of the requirement for FiTs is:
“relevant building” means a roofed construction having walls, for which energy is used to condition the indoor climate, other than such a building for which an energy performance certificate cannot be issued; and a reference to a relevant building includes a reference to part of such a building which has been designed or altered to be used separately;

There is no mention of how the electricity might be connected or used within the building so saying it is connected only to the landlord's supply may not be relevant. My interpretation would be that you would need an EPC and you should get the customer to get one to play safe anyway - especially as DECC hint that exceptions to the rule are supposed to be few and far between. But which part of the block (or maybe all of it) would need an EPC (maybe even one for each flat) is difficult to say and what you then do if it fails to get a 'D' is another problem.

OFGEM are supposed to be publishing a guide on this soon.

Yes it needs an EPC and planning permission.

The landlord doesn't live in the building but if there is no heating then what energy performance are you measuring?

If the flats are leased the permission of the freeholder is needed too. I have a flat that I rent out and I'm just starting this process now.

I am not sure if they are leased or privately owned (Freehold) however, even if they are owned freehold the top floor occupier doesn't have any claim on the roof (i.e. it's not theirs to fix if there is a leak) then would they still need permission??

Thanks Ted - it shows you how long it is since I checked on flats. I was about to submit plans.

I'll ring now and find out about the lease - ours is a top floor flat.

Apparently we need permission from the freeholders and they charge for that. I'm fuming because they also charge me for every time the tenancy changes and any other little check they can manage!!! They need all the info on where the panels are going to go and photographs (usual survey stuff) then they take 7 days to assess it and decide how much they will charge you for the pleasure! Then it takes 10 working days to turn around. Obviously that's the situation with my flat but I'd guess it isn't a million miles away from what it will be with other leaseholders.

Yes it needs an EPC and planning permission. Flats don't come under permitted development. If the flats are leased the permission of the freeholder is needed too. I have a flat that I rent out and I'm just starting this process now.

See the amendment to the T&C Planning Act, which introduces a permitted development right for commercial premises as of 6th April. As far as I can see, this should dispense with the requirement for PP.

Reply to 4kw on block of flats - EPC Exempt??? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net