Discuss 5 pin socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

all sockets up to 32A should be RCD protected since before 18th ed. however if installed to 17th., a RA could negate the need.

used to be that RCD could be omitted if under supervision of skilled or instructed muppets persons. since then IET have realised that most instructed persons are muppets, so regs. changed.

used to be that RCD could be omitted if under supervision of skilled or instructed muppets persons. since then IET have realised that most instructed persons are muppets the manufacturers' donations to the beer fund were dropping, so regs. changed.

If it is a workshop (not domestic) you can still have a risk-assessment to say not needed (or problematic).

Depends on the expected use really, some 3-phase outlets should have RCD protection as used outdoors and/or with tools liable to chop cables, others it is pointless as low risk and just a cost and trip-risk for high leakage things.

Hard-wiring seems the only option there, but that makes it impossible for a non-spark to swap over stuff in an emergency, etc.

If it is a workshop (not domestic) you can still have a risk-assessment to say not needed (or problematic).

Depends on the expected use really, some 3-phase outlets should have RCD protection as used outdoors and/or with tools liable to chop cables, others it is pointless as low risk and just a cost and trip-risk for high leakage things.

Hard-wiring seems the only option there, but that makes it impossible for a non-spark to swap over stuff in an emergency, etc.
Is this your private opinion or I can find this in regs ?

Is this your private opinion or I can find this in regs ?
411.3.3 again.

BS7671:2018 18th Edition.

411.3.3 Additional Requirements for Socket-outlets and for the supply of mobile equipment for use outdoors

In AC systems, additional protection by means of an RCD with a rated residual operating current not exceeding 30 mA shall be provided for:

(i) socket-outlets with a rated current not exceeding 32A, and
(ii) mobile equipment with a rated current not exceeding 32A for use outdoors.

An exception to (i) is permitted where, other than for an installation in a dwelling, a documented risk assessment determines that RCD protection is not necessary.

411.3.3 again.

BS7671:2018 18th Edition.

411.3.3 Additional Requirements for Socket-outlets and for the supply of mobile equipment for use outdoors

In AC systems, additional protection by means of an RCD with a rated residual operating current not exceeding 30 mA shall be provided for:

(i) socket-outlets with a rated current not exceeding 32A, and
(ii) mobile equipment with a rated current not exceeding 32A for use outdoors.

An exception to (i) is permitted where, other than for an installation in a dwelling, a documented risk assessment determines that RCD protection is not necessary.
Ok. So who should do the risk assessment ?

Ok. So who should do the risk assessment ?
A competent person. You would need to seek advice from a health and safety professional who has dealt with electrical risk assessments in the past.

After carrying out the Hazard Analysis if a hazard is identified to be present, then the Risk Assessment will deal with how that risk can be minimised, but why would you even consider not putting RCD protection in a workshop where IMO the risk is greater than any domestic installation?

Reply to 5 pin socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net