Discuss Medical IT Socket-Outlets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

This post is about my concerns with medical IT socket outlets and want to alert you all if you are fitting them in a hospital. The current guidance needs updating to clarify this but in the mean time, you should be aware that IT sockets with switches should not be fitted even though they are sold. Having them switched cannot be a derogation because the switches defeat the whole purpose of the IT system, which is to reduce the risk of disconnection (ie an RCD tripping). Life critical medical equipment obviously needs the power as much as possible so medical IT reduces this risk. FYI the control panel is called an IPS because in order to function, the system needs an isolating transformer.

Also, I have seen sockets being sold that do not have the correct "clean" earth link. Basically, the link should be removed if there is a metal back box and kept in if there is a plastic back box. Simple. Why? In a group 2 medical location where IT are fitted, the socket earth pin has a radial connection direct to the location EBB. This should not connect to extraneous (which is connected to the socket screws and back box). If it is a plastic back box, the link is left in and means the screws use the radial equipotential conductor. The problem is - some sockets are sold with a link that doesn't split the screws from the pin - the link terminal is not a link but just one terminal and doesn't help. If the link is out, one of the connections should only go to the socket earth pins.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
There is no reason a socket powered by an IT supply can’t be switched.
it will not reduce the safety of the socket or the system as a whole.

if there is a particular reason why a switched socket is not wanted or increases the risk of unintended disconnection then of course an unswitched one can be fitted.

There is no reason a socket powered by an IT supply can’t be switched.
it will not reduce the safety of the socket or the system as a whole.

if there is a particular reason why a switched socket is not wanted or increases the risk of unintended disconnection then of course an unswitched one can be fitted.
HI James, BS 7671 710.553.1 clearly states that Medical IT should be unswitched. The foreseeable risk comes from unintended disconnection by somebody operating the switch when a life-critical medical device is in use.

Surly an electrical competent person would only fit what was required?
Here lies a big political problem. There are no regulations for hospitals as with Part P for homes plus other internal politics which is not for here. There are some good sparkies who do good work but quite often, I see work undertaken by guys with no medical location knowledge especially in private places.

Here lies a big political problem. There are no regulations for hospitals as with Part P for homes plus other internal politics which is not for here. There are some good sparkies who do good work but quite often, I see work undertaken by guys with no medical location knowledge especially in private places.

Other than section 710 of BS7671?

The IET Wiring Regulations are most definitely regulations. Whether or not they're as comprehensive as they could be, or as one might like them to be, is another issue.

Given the nature of your opening post, perhaps it is a lack of clarity where standards are concerned, rather than regulations?

The IET Wiring Regulations are most definitely regulations. Whether or not they're as comprehensive as they could be, or as one might like them to be, is another issue.

Given the nature of your opening post, perhaps it is a lack of clarity where standards are concerned, rather than regulations?
Hi. Sorry but BS7671 is not statutory regulation and is not on legislation.gov as a statutory instrument. It is incorrectly called the regulations and should be referred to as BS7671.
All UK legislation has to be passed through Parliament and BS7671 certainly didn’t go anywhere near government.

Hi. Sorry but BS7671 is not statutory regulation and is not on legislation.gov as a statutory instrument. It is incorrectly called the regulations and should be referred to as BS7671.
All UK legislation has to be passed through Parliament and BS7671 certainly didn’t go anywhere near government.
I agree that the health guidance needs updating though but quite simply, I wanted to point the socket issue out. MK have got the earth link right but still sell switched IT despite para 710. Apologies if people feel this is the wrong forum.

Again, there is no reason why you can’t have a switched socket on an IT supply.
if particular circumstances or locations require it then fine.

as an installer YOU are required to select the correct equipment for the location.

I haven't claimed BS7671 to be a statutory instrument, but simply pointed out that it is regulatory as you had incorrectly claimed otherwise.

The terms 'regulation', 'legislation' and 'statutory' are not interchangeable.

I've just quickly googled 'medical IT socket' and find that the first page of results displays only unswitched blue sockets.

I'm not sure the outlined problem actually exists, unless there's an assumption that any clean earth socket is suitable for supply of medical equipment. It is surely understood that clean earthing requirements extend beyond hospitals and that accessories will exist to satisfy those requirements, which may call for switched sockets?

Edit: I see that MK produce a switched and unswitched version of their blue clean earth sockets and both are engraved 'Medical Equipment Only'.

I've just quickly googled 'medical IT socket' and find that the first page of results displays only unswitched blue sockets.

I'm not sure the outlined problem actually exists, unless there's an assumption that any clean earth socket is suitable for supply of medical equipment. It is surely understood that clean earthing requirements extend beyond hospitals and that accessories will exist to satisfy those requirements, which may call for switched sockets?

Edit: I see that MK produce a switched and unswitched version of their blue clean earth sockets and both are engraved 'Medical Equipment Only'.
A clean earth socket can of course be used for medical equipment that is not on an IT supply.
therefore I am sure thee are circumstances that a socket that doesn’t meet the requirements of para 710. Still wants to be marked with medical equipment only.

I get what you are saying about specific IT sockets in specific locations not being allowed to have switches, however as said, it is down to the installer to design and construct the circuit so it meets requirements and is suitable for the use it is likely to get.
a switch on an IT supply doesn’t make the socket any less safe.
there are obviously specific risks involved in hospitals other medical locations and many of these are sorted out by specific site or personal training.

Again, there is no reason why you can’t have a switched socket on an IT supply.
if particular circumstances or locations require it then fine.

as an installer YOU are required to select the correct equipment for the location.
Hi. Agree that the installer is required to do this but my point is - they are being sold and fitted in some hospitals and they shouldn't. Guidance note 7 9.20 (special locations 2018) also says that switched medical IT sockets shall be unswitched. The other point of concern which affects the safety of medical devices is that the link on some medical IT suppliers' sockets do not separate clean from extraneous.

Hi. Agree that the installer is required to do this but my point is - they are being sold and fitted in some hospitals and they shouldn't. Guidance note 7 9.20 (special locations 2018) also says that switched medical IT sockets shall be unswitched. The other point of concern which affects the safety of medical devices is that the link on some medical IT suppliers' sockets do not separate clean from extraneous.
The guidance is already in place, you keep pointing it out.
again, there are many purposes for a particular socket outlet and as a designer or installer you need to take the guidance into account when selecting and installing equipment.
I understand that your intention is to provide information to others that may be in a similar position to yourself. However as I am sure you are aware, every installation is different.

A clean earth socket can of course be used for medical equipment that is not on an IT supply.
therefore I am sure thee are circumstances that a socket that doesn’t meet the requirements of para 710. Still wants to be marked with medical equipment only.

I get what you are saying about specific IT sockets in specific locations not being allowed to have switches, however as said, it is down to the installer to design and construct the circuit so it meets requirements and is suitable for the use it is likely to get.
a switch on an IT supply doesn’t make the socket any less safe.
there are obviously specific risks involved in hospitals other medical locations and many of these are sorted out by specific site or personal training.
Hi. The reason for the need for no switches is specific to the use of life-critical devices. I am a trainer in medical locations and medical device electrical safety and am aware of all the technicalities. All I want to achieve is to alert those who do the installing to watch out for the 3 issues with Medical IT sockets. The hospital guidance hasn't been updated for some time and is long overdue - I won't go into the politics on here but I thought it may help if sparkies are made aware that they should know more about the IT sockets in hospitals. Ian

I apologise if I have come across wrong.
but it is down to you as a customer to specify work and work with installers and agree what specifications you are wanting when asking someone to install equipment in specific locations like that.
it is a somewhat specific area of expertise but guidance is there and laws to Back it up.

Reply to Medical IT Socket-Outlets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net