Discuss 500w halogen floodlights in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

gaffer

-
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Getting really frustrated,today I did a job for a regular customer on his new house.He wanted me to replace fourteen 500w halogen security lights that had just rotted away over the last two years,anyway he asked me to put up some better quality ones.Been asked to do this many times before for other people, but there isnt anything better:mad:,just the same old rubbish no matter what manufacturer you buy from.Any ideas?:confused::confused:

There is LED versions of these fittings out i had a sample of one months ago but wasnt to impressed by them. The spread of light was really poor (like a torch) so i think there is a bit of work to be done on them. The other alternative is to use 70w SON or Metal Halide fittings but the thing with them is there only good for all night use not suitable for on/off switching due to the lamps having to cool down before they will re-strike. I think they are your only alternatives, hope this helps

LED would be useless as most of them are 5M up a wall.I was just thinking why isnt any of the manufacturers filling the gap here with a better fitting.I did get some stainless steel ones fro neweys for a boat yard once,but they were ÂŁ150 each!.Theres nothing inbetween.

If your covering a large area and want the flood effect then your alternative is the son or metal halide as suggested by 'jboy1888' but if the area is quite small you may get away with the new twin 42 watt or 55 watt pl type, but dont expect blackpool illuminations but they are good for smaller coverage like a drive way.

Thanks for you answers,but,as I said these are security lights on existing PIRs,so SONs or metal halides are no good.Frustration goes on!

The market is flooded (parden the pun) with cheap B&Q etc fittings so making it almost impossible for a well made more expensive brand to compete so think you have difficulty sourcing one although let us know if you find one. Explain this to customer this gets you off the hook if they dont last his expectations or ask him to supply them, we no longer do them due to losses made in past replacing them due to cheap quality etc, we never came across a reliable make what stood up to 5yrs of weathering.

Hi I recently installed some Steinel HS500 units and they seemed very well made. However at ÂŁ60 each it would be far cheaper to just buy the ÂŁ5 ones and replace every few years.

The Steinel's were installed outside a lifeboat station so would get a lot of battering from the elements.

500w halogen...he must have cash to burn with the electric....I have used those energy saving lamps which are a straight swap for 500w halogen lamps..not as powerful but good for the planet:)

The house is huge set in twenty acres of land.Also replaced twenty four coach lanterns for plastic ones(JCC) did it all in the sunshine this week the rain never made it to us.Nice and brown now.
Cheers for the suggestions Ill have look at availability over here next week.:D

Reply to 500w halogen floodlights in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net