Discuss 600mm swa cable depth rule in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

joehat

I've always assumed this rule was the same under slabs or concrete, not just under soil Ect.
Am I correct as the regulation doesn't state so that's why I assumed it.

The reason being, I've just gone and quoted a job and another (electrician!!) quoted a lot less, I asked how much Ect and how he was doing it and he said he would cut a cap below the slabs and run swa to the shed. ??

below slabs, it's unlikely to get a spade spiked into it, so you can reduce the depth. still got to install safely and sensibly, though.

The requirement is to ensure that the cable will be undisturbed by any normal activity.
450mm is a generally recommended minimum and 600mm if the ground is likely to be disturbed.
However if the cable were to be laid under a fixed surface then it is protected and so long as someone can identify the warning tape before the cable if any work is done then you should be OK.
If it were under slabs then I would put a strong barrier, concrete of thick plastic capping (which would also cost a lot) in order to prevent damage on removing replacing slabs.

and a diversion is a detour around a flood/road works/fallen tree/road runners etc. the term you want is departure.

I've always assumed this rule was the same under slabs or concrete, not just under soil Ect.
Am I correct as the regulation doesn't state so that's why I assumed it.

The reason being, I've just gone and quoted a job and another (electrician!!) quoted a lot less, I asked how much Ect and how he was doing it and he said he would cut a cap below the slabs and run swa to the shed. ??
can you expand on your logical thinking here ?

can you expand on your logical thinking here ?
I think he means that if its under someone's rose-bed then it needs to be deep enough not to be disturbed when they dig the muck in, but if its under paving slabs then its not likely to be disturbed and if it is then it will be obvious that it is there. That's what BS7671 say's isnt it?

Bit of a sticky one this, dont think ive ever seen or heard of any spark actually digging a 600mm trench then back filling with sand etc as per regs down the length of someones garden with a 2.5 swa to supply a garden shed, in the real world this doesnt really happen

the amount of armoured cable ive pulled out of the ground has barely been covered with top soil

As far as I can remember there is no actual stated depths for SWA in the BYB.

Please correct me with the reg number if this is incorrect!

As far as I can remember there is no actual stated depths for SWA in the BYB.

Please correct me with the reg number if this is incorrect!

Only in special locations, depths and heights are specified for buried and overhead cables. I think the cue for general buried installation where the cable is likely to be disturbed is based on this info.

I also remember seeing some industry best practice guidance once too.

I agree with Welchyboy, this is a sticky one. I don't see how BS7671 could give specific depths for specific locations or purposes. I will put my tin hat on and say that 600mm is quite often unrealistic and possibly unnecessary. If the average spark working in the domestic arena quoted for the amount of labour involved he would never get the job. You have to use your common sense, if you are putting a cable under a garden that is going to be dug, then it needs to be deep enough to avoid being hit by "normal" activity, but what's normal? There is always the chance that ANY underground cable is going to be struck, including DNO cables. I recently came across a gas pipe installed to a new build with no marker tape at a depth of about 200mm, so even the supply authorities can't do it properly. What about a cable running round the perimeter of a building in a gravelled 100mm gap between the wall and paving? Are we really supposed to get it down to 450mm minimum? I think not. Sometimes its better to leave it clipped to walls/fence posts at ground level so its visible. And what if it is protected with an RCD? Should we approach it in the same manner that cables concealed in walls are? It is armoured cable at the end of the day.
I have come across loads of situations where is has been buried barely below the surface, probably because the contractor involved thought "well I can't get it 600mm so sod it". BS7671 tells us it should be deep enough to avoid being disturbed by "normal" activity, but it doesn't say what that might be. Sometimes the best you can do is make sure it is marked by tape and get it as deep as is practically possible, however deep that may be and at reasonable cost.

Last edited:
I think he means that if its under someone's rose-bed then it needs to be deep enough not to be disturbed when they dig the muck in, but if its under paving slabs then its not likely to be disturbed and if it is then it will be obvious that it is there. That's what BS7671 say's isnt it?
Thats not the way I read the post.

Yet I have had a customer lately say they dug up gravel in a new build house and guess what BANG!! Straight through the armoured cable only about an inch below gravel, being the Sparks who installed the house electrics ( ************ ) being a big company it was interesting to hear!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 600mm swa cable depth rule in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net