Discuss Absolute classic in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest111

A mate of mine owns several stable blocks,each powered off a generator,now I've wired all of these and he won't let anyone else near them,which is nice as I know exactly where I'm up to when he wants any work done on them.Anyway he rang up yesterday and wanted a floodlight on the paddock for winter,he'd picked up some floodlights and wanted to know if they were suitable,so last night I went down as it was going dark the idea being to plug one of these lights in and get an idea if they would do the job.Connected one up and it wouldn't strike,tried another and it was the same,checked the supply and was getting around 200 volts,he was adamant it couldn't be the genny as it was just over a year old and hardly gets used in summer.I checked it and found the speed adjusting screw had worked loose so the motor wasn't running at the correct speed.Job done lights strike up happy days then he turns around "oh so the genny not running right may explain why my lowbays kept going on and off".Funny how some people don't mention something's wrong untill you find it for yourself.

...just flickin' your meter to frequency,would have given you the same clue from where you were connecting :stooge_curly: ...but working with similar set-ups,how ever you find the problem,works for me,i'll even take luck over persistence,if it gains a result! Bluddy equine folk...

A mate of mine works in a hire shop and the number of people that think a generator is a never ending source of electricity, there have been quite a few potential customers that have walked out when asked what load are you connecting to it, the normal reply is I only need a small one if they hang around for long enough you usually find they are running a fun day and have 5, 10 and occasionally 15KVa of equipment that needs power and are surprised that the little generator they wanted won't do it

Reply to Absolute classic in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net