Discuss Additional supplementary bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ok new house. New install cert issued. However, no supplementary bonding that I can see and accessible .
There is a 10mm earth wire connected above the water stop cock point of entry under the kitchen sink.
However, no cross bonding to the hot pipe.
According to install cert the cross bonding has been ticked off as acceptable condition.
Dual RCD consumer fitted. PME earthing.
Should cross bonding be carried out? Can the electrician by testing, say it's not required?
I understand that in bathrooms, provided all circuits are protected by RCD additional supplementary bonding may not required as long as the electrician can prove by testing, not required.
I would of thought that the hot pipe under the sink, should be bonded. I'm old school.
Thanks

Ok new house. New install cert issued. However, no supplementary bonding that I can see and accessible .
There is a 10mm earth wire connected above the water stop cock point of entry under the kitchen sink.
According to install cert the cross bonding has been ticked off as acceptable condition.
Should cross bonding be carried out? Can the electrician by testing, say it's not required?
I understand that in bathrooms, provided all circuits are protected by RCD additional supplementary bonding may not required as long as the electrician can prove by testing, not required.
I would of thought that the hot pipe under the sink, should be bonded. I'm old school.
Thanks
So am I ! ! ! !
[automerge]1567608730[/automerge]
Thanks

If it’s a new install I would imagine suplimentary bonding would be irrelevant. Unless it has not been installed to current regulations.

It has a dual rcd board.
Are there any circuits not RCD protected?

Are there any circuits in the bathroom or passing through the bathroom not RCD protected?

If the hot water is from a Combi boiler then all the pipework is bonded by the boiler framework.
If hot water is from a cylinder it may be bonded there.

Check for continuity between Cold and hot pipes.

If it’s a new install I would imagine suplimentary bonding would be irrelevant. Unless it has not been installed to current regulations.

It has a dual rcd board.

Are there any circuits in the bathroom or passing through the bathroom not RCD protected?
Hi , all circuits RCD protected throughout the house
[automerge]1567696388[/automerge]

It has a dual rcd board.

Hi Pete, all circuits RCD protected throughout the house
[automerge]1567696505[/automerge]
New build? Pipes are probably plastic push-fit anyway
Never thought of that. Under the sink it's all 15mm copper piping.
[automerge]1567697052[/automerge]
So am I ! ! ! !

Thanks for taking the time for posting. In my day, if it was metal it got bonded!
In my early days, every metal pipe at a header tank in the loft even got cross bonded!
Also metal window frames !!!!!
[automerge]1567697132[/automerge]
So am I ! ! ! !

Thanks for taking the time for posting. In my day, if it was metal it got bonded!
In my early days, every metal pipe at a header tank in the loft even got cross bonded!
Also metal window frames !!!!!

Last edited:
Still always find it hard to believe that people bonded metal window frames.
this was done years ago because the purpose of bonding was not understood by many. it's not there to protect against the water/gas pipe becoming"live". it's there so that, if a fault occurred ( Live part to exposed conductive part of the electrical installation). then the pipe, (which is at earth potential of 0V, being extraneous, in contact with the ground/earth) because it is bonded to the earth of the installation and hence to the exposed part which has become live due to the fault, would rise in potential to that of the exposed part, therefore. if a person were to be in contact with the exposed part and the pipe for the duration of the fault ( i.e. till the fuse/MCB disconnected. ), there would not be a potential difference across said person, so no shock.

by bonding a window frame which is not extraneous introduces a danger that would not otherwise exist.

this was done years ago because the purpose of bonding was not understood by many. it's not there to protect against the water/gas pipe becoming"live". it's there so that, if a fault occurred ( Live part to exposed conductive part of the electrical installation). then the pipe, (which is at earth potential of 0V, being extraneous, in contact with the ground/earth) because it is bonded to the earth of the installation and hence to the exposed part which has become live due to the fault, would rise in potential to that of the exposed part, therefore. if a person were to be in contact with the exposed part and the pipe for the duration of the fault ( i.e. till the fuse/MCB disconnected. ), there would not be a potential difference across said person, so no shock.

by bonding a window frame which is not extraneous introduces a danger that would not otherwise exist.
Still, at the time, if instructed by our superiors, you just got on and did it! Looked diabolical at times!

Reply to Additional supplementary bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net