Discuss advice with a bad customer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Back to the OP - horrible people, ignore them, move on, get on with your life. Carry on doing exellent work and your rep will spread. Leave the fuming smeggers to it.

S.

Hate customers taking the P, don't you Marc?
Serial killer no because its illegal lol.

Hahaha - the only reason your not a serial killer is because its illegal? Lol i like it.

But yeah, i hate customers taking the P - thankfully its the minority, and if they do i black-list them and make sure as many fellow sparks/tradesmen no about them. Other sparks can take the **** aswell though in spreading lies, i hate them more than the actual punters.

Back to the OP. When the customer requested changes did she do it in writing or purely verbally? I've had a couple of clients who changed their minds, and as soon as I got home I would update the estimate to reflect the changes. These things take time and can keep you sane.

If she's a nasty piece of work, she'll be like a dog with a bone, so walk away, keep professional and move on to the next "nice" client.

doing solicitor tricks not so easy around here unless you really know what you doing...
if she slags your name somewhere on the net, then google search it and have a look what comes up.
contact website administrator and write a good letter explaining what happened. having some evidence (contract, pictures etc) will be handy.

if nothing comes out the search then dont give a damn, no one gives a damn over a facebook status of some random self obsessed nutter.

Hi, after a bit of advice. Walked out of a job the other day for the first time, now the customer is threatening to give me a bad name online.
Story is, it was a 1st fix extension, very simple 4 sockets ground floor, 4 sockets 1st floor. Customer said they were drylining so i clearly quoted (i writting) we would fix boxes direct. Turned up and her dad (the builder) shown us exactly where he wanted all sockets. All done, paid happy days (i thought). Couple of days ago got a call saying the boxes were not deep enough for plasterer?? I went round and she said they are not boarding now and just plastering so boxes needed sinking. Couldnt be bothered with hassle so said i would come back in a couple of days time and sink all boxes (free of charge may i add). Turned up got all tools in then she lost it and said 1 socket needed to be moved for rad and another moving for some reason. I made it clear i would move them as i was their and wouldnt take 5 mins, but the attitute continued. I politely told her if she didnt watch her attitude / mouth then i would be off, pointing out i was their free of charge and not one thing was down to me. She carried on so i said excuse me, packed my tools away and left. She is now threatening to try and spread a bad name for me online, anything i can do? Sorry for the long post
you can usually spot mongs like this at the initial consultation stage...

Provided you have the contract in writing and have for filled it as said before anything she says is slander anything she writes is libel.

Libel is the only action where under uk law they are guilty until proven innocent.
Damages are assumed and therefore they have to prove what they say or write is true you dontnhavebto prove its untrue.
A strongly worded letter to this effect usually does the trick

this is also true of the websites involved so you can also sue them if they don't take down libellous comments take a look at the link below

Basic UK libel law for idiots by Adam Porter

You have carried out the work agreed.The builder(a relative) has decided to cut costs and the customer has asked you to solve the problem.
You have offered to solve their problem free of charge.
They have deliberately provoked an argument knowing that any reasonable person would take exception.
Why?
No-one in their right mind would be upset with your actions.
Perhaps now they have certification they do not need an electrician.
My opinion is the builder is at fault or being crafty.Doesn't he have a reputation that he wants to keep in good standing?
I for one would certainly like to be warned if he was operating in my area.
Truth is you can't worry about what someone might or might do.
Forget about it this and learn from it.
Make sure your contracts state what work is expected,take photos and carry an Amendment to the Contract form and get customer to sign for and agree to payment of any extra work even if FOC.
Whip this form out the moment you hear 'could you just' or I've been talking to the wife and she thinks.....'
Above all stop thinking about work after 5.30

You have carried out the work agreed.The builder(a relative) has decided to cut costs and the customer has asked you to solve the problem.
You have offered to solve their problem free of charge.
They have deliberately provoked an argument knowing that any reasonable person would take exception.
Why?
No-one in their right mind would be upset with your actions.
Perhaps now they have certification they do not need an electrician.
My opinion is the builder is at fault or being crafty.Doesn't he have a reputation that he wants to keep in good standing?
I for one would certainly like to be warned if he was operating in my area.
Truth is you can't worry about what someone might or might do.
Forget about it this and learn from it.
Make sure your contracts state what work is expected,take photos and carry an Amendment to the Contract form and get customer to sign for and agree to payment of any extra work even if FOC.
Whip this form out the moment you hear 'could you just' or I've been talking to the wife and she thinks.....'
Above all stop thinking about work after 5.30
but clearly the O/P isn`t dealing with someone in their right mind...

in fact i would be surprised if they even had a mind at all...
hence my initial input to this topic at #26

Reply to advice with a bad customer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net