Discuss AFDDs are a massive fraud in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

@Cookie

I am somewhat confused here, you seem to be manipulating the debate to suit your position, you on one hand demonstrate how external influences are themselves manipulating regulation and standards by masking results or fudging data to suit their own interests financially and at no point have I disagreed your claims, then on the other hand you use the exact same source of information to confirm your position.... either the UL is reliable or it is not but you cannot use it to make both sides of the argument.

I'm glad you picked up on this and yes it certainly seems that way.

But here is what I'm getting at

1) Because not all of it is lies- its truth with lies mashed together.

2) The UL reports read either way say the IET is wrong to mandate them come time.

Assuming the UL reports are right: RCDs and MCBs detect parallel arcs just as well if note better and all that need to happen is the IET tweaking the loop impedance tables.

Assuming the UL reports are bogus: Insufficient evidence exists that arcing is a problem, is behind fires, or that AFDDs do as claimed. Heavily influenced by external bias from the consumer product safety commission and manufacturers.

I have been in this trade for 30 yrs and I have seen arcing in devices running on 110v and a few amps by design, to say arcing cannot occur at these voltages less than 100amps is a bold sweeping incorrect statement,

Parallel arcing. UL reports say parallel arc are not found below 100amps in the residential setting.

On the other hand, series arcs can be found at any current level- yet in the use AFCIs stop sensing them below 5 amps.

I have seen safety extra low voltages arcing and causing damage to adjacent material especially when the load is inductive by nature and contaminants promote the situation, like I have said before, our standards are aiming at these scenario's and environments, I would question whether UL tested all the possible scenarios which would seem an impossible task given the amount of environmental influences that could promote arcing.

Was it DC? Was it arcing our joule heating?

Remember that joule heating can char anything. Once the heat further loosens the connection some arcing may take place. People often assume when seeing this end stage arcing that the arcing came first and that is what caused the charring.

You also bring up thermarrestors as an alternative solution but fail to recognise the simple issue that an AFDD can monitor a full circuit including load at a small relative cost where as thermarrestors only monitor the location they are applied to a circuit and add additional wiring and installation costs well in excess of the AFDD while giving a fraction of the protection of the circuit. I do recall we had this discussion some 5yrs ago and got a rep on site to present his own pitch which didn't go down too well for him and led him to alter the claims on their website.

Less cost- and less protection.

Joule heating does not produce a waveform, arcing can take place below several amps, and the arc signature might not get caught. AFDDs have serious limitations in being able to discern dangerous series arcing from safe arcing.

Yes every device will need to have thermal monitoring- but I'd rather have something that gets hot spots 100% of the time instead of say 5% of the time.

Now I honestly do not know about cost. I'm guessing it will cost more. And thats a conversation that people in the UK need to have whether or not its worth it.

I will also add thermarrestors cannot be applied to DNO equipment IE the incoming cutout for a few reasons, we cannot connect upstream to cut the power to the cutout nor are we allowed to interfere or adapt their property, here in the UK the cutout in most houses built prior to the 90's is internal connection in the property and that is a substantial section of the UK domestic, commercial and industrial layout, over my time I know several fires caused through cutout loose terminations.

True. But also remember AFDDs will not detect anything on the line side.

So reflecting on my posts and also just to reiterate I am not saying there is no substance to your claims but you have provided evidence from a body to shore up your argument then in other posts discredited them as a valid source due to corrupt influences and agreed with me your youtube link was a mistake, my challenge to present an alternative to AFDD's came back with a solution that totally falls short of the bar, thermarrestors saw the light in approx 2014 in this country as an industry push and never took off, not because of the regulatory restrictions but the fact they simply are not a practical solution and cannot give the same cover as and AFDD...(yes they have their uses but fail to replace the cover of an AFDD) Q' - how does a thermarrestor detect a damage cable that leads to an arc fault, how do you predict where a cable may be damaged for whatever reason be it physical contact, chemical erosion etc etc .. an AFDD does all the above at source and I have already started implemented them in my control panel designs for machinery where we have such problems due to contamination when the machines are not maintained properly.

Point of use thermal dynamics give way better cover then any AFDD ever could and will not fail down the road like electronics when needed most.

A damaged cable is detected by RCDs, MCBs and in the case of flex your fused plugs.

Yes a series break will not get detected in flex, but that can be solved by either screening the cable or setting the bar higher for flex.

I will end that I am not trying to promote or make the claim we should have AFDD's thrust on our regulations but what I am saying is just because you can give examples of corrupt financial influence in the system does not mean their use is not warranted, you haven't given me any real evidence that I cannot find alternative reports that contradict the findings you link to and also what my experience in the industry shows, you keep linking to UL findings which you yourself are attacking as a corrupt organisation. If your concerns are realised then you cannot use their data to prove your position, it is called a circular argument IE akin to using the bible to prove God exists ...

But keep in mind, truth or lies, said corruption says MCBs and RCDs do the same thing in regards to parallel arcing. Then said corruption turns to the IEC/IET and say err no you have dangerous parallel arcing RCDs and MCBs can not detect.

Right here you have the same folks saying two separate things. 180 flip based on the market.

The hubris so blatantly obvious.

Finally here is one of many well established and documented thesis that all come up with similar conclusions all of which contradict some of the claims you make, I therefore put it too you the info you reference is presented out of context, dated, incorrect or simply been misinterpreted, also you fail to address the emerging appliance market that see's HF interference, VFD control which can introduce harmonics into the cables like found in my washing machine and other electrical characteristics like PV that were not relevant only a few decades ago all of which have changed how arc faults behave and effect our installations.

What specifically does the thesis contradict with what I said? Be specific, cite me sentences and figures. I'm not saying you are wrong.

And btw, the VFDs you speak of are making AFDDs way less sensitive because the waveform during normal operation gets mistaken as dangerous arcing.

I cant see corruption by big business having influence here on matters of introducing new safety devices in our electrical industry

Electrical safety in the United Kingdom is very successful for almost all the population
The powers that be could be considered to be quite successful in protecting the general population with decisions they have made over the years

Even when idiots take to doing their own attempts at installation,the safety devices used in this country tend to protect them from themselves

I tend to have trust in the IET that they do what they think is best for us
Agreed, with a but and that but is value returned Vs investment made.

When the safety inprovements are large and the investment is low, it's a no brainer. Low hanging fruit...

When the safety improvements are marginal and the investment high then you're going to get push back.

How many lives will AFDDs save? How much property will be saved? I'm not convinced it will be sufficient to warrant the cost.

And before some one starts getting all emotive with "if it saves one babie's life...." the logical end point of that argument is either make electricity 100% safe, impossible, or ban it. The reality is much more nuanced.

SPDs fall under a similar argument but as the cost is relatively low and they seem reliable then fitting them seems obvious.

Think of the reputational damage AFFDs could cause you when you recommend a device that is, expensive, of little statistical benifit and prone to nuisance trips.

There's a formula i use on a regular basis that calculates the monetary value of a persons life.

We then use the value to check against cost of implementing safety systems. Thankfully, the cost of life in the western world (where I do most of my work) is so high, the safety always has to be implemented.

IET will likely have done the same with the introduction of AFDDs.

Sisyphus can maybe find Jreaf's post (he is a member of another forum) where in the 70s manufacturing reps and industry leaders would openly talk about the majority of electrical manufacturers merging into just a few companies over time.

That was 50 years ago.

20 years ago came the idea of having manufacturing reps on the CMP covertly changing the dynamics of the NFPA code making process.

15 years ago came the idea of gradually turning UL into a propaganda piece for the manufacturers. UL can prove just about anything a manufacturer wants them to, and create just about any standard they would like to see.

I remember, but can't find it Cookie :(

I'd simply say ,anyone watching our system will realize deregulation & acquisitions have snowballed to total control and influence here

~S~

How many lives will AFDDs save? How much property will be saved? I'm not convinced it will be sufficient to warrant the cost.

And before some one starts getting all emotive with "if it saves one babie's life...." the logical end point of that argument is either make electricity 100% safe, impossible, or ban it. The reality is much more nuanced.

20 yrs ago AFDD manufacturers took out full page ad's of FF's holding sooty children as an advertisement here....

There's a formula i use on a regular basis that calculates the monetary value of a persons life.

We then use the value to check against cost of implementing safety systems. Thankfully, the cost of life in the western world (where I do most of my work) is so high, the safety always has to be implemented.

Well, if you work in the states, you know profit is cloaked in the guise of safety

It's big biz, which is where we fall into the altruism rabbit hole

Many examples exist, anecdotally having taken 30 yrs of patients to the ER @ $1000USD a pop just for admissions taught me the rich will live, poor will die here.

One can copy/paste that to the OP as well, AFDD's are a billion $$ industry , with political protection of similar moral turpitude.

I would not wish it on any other country, which is why we're here

~S~

[

Finally here is one of many well established and documented thesis that all come up with similar conclusions all of which contradict some of the claims you make, I therefore put it too you the info you reference is presented out of context, dated, incorrect or simply been misinterpreted, also you fail to address the emerging appliance market that see's HF interference, VFD control which can introduce harmonics into the cables like found in my washing machine and other electrical characteristics like PV that were not relevant only a few decades ago all of which have changed how arc faults behave and effect our installations.

An apt thesis Darkwood

One fundamental stands out

DC ionizes far more than AC

Our NEC mandated all PV systems incorporate AFDD protection a few cycles ago...iirc it's 690.12

Nobody argued it

~S~

Why not just mandate fire sprinklers over time?

You have made points regards AFDD and RCD which are clear. Whether this is accepted or not is for each individual. You have then made points about big business being corrupt. Again understood. Re-iterating those points is now redundant. Among various statements you have made there is a light sprinkling of "...that is why we are here..." "...We need your help..." As I have asked in my last post, what is it you want we get the points you make with various levels of agreement now what????? Why repeat your self there are only so many ways you can say there is evil big business and after a certain point it becomes tedious. There are only so many ways you can say RCDs' are AFDD and AFDD are a con. Great I think we have got it to the point of tedium. So...what is it you want to do about it. And please do not repeat there are evil people out there and AFDD are bad etc.

You have made points regards AFDD and RCD which are clear. Whether this is accepted or not is for each individual. You have then made points about big business being corrupt. Again understood. Re-iterating those points is now redundant. Among various statements you have made there is a light sprinkling of "...that is why we are here..." "...We need your help..." As I have asked in my last post, what is it you want we get the points you make with various levels of agreement now what????? Why repeat your self there are only so many ways you can say there is evil big business and after a certain point it becomes tedious. There are only so many ways you can say RCDs' are AFDD and AFDD are a con. Great I think we have got it to the point of tedium. So...what is it you want to do about it. And please do not repeat there are evil people out there and AFDD are bad etc.

Because we want you to reject AFDDs entirely. I'm not asking you to buy, but reject.

Of course me and Sisyphus are met with great skepticism and doubt by some folks which (no offense) don't appear to understand or care for the theory.

Understanding theory is key as to why.

Ok all very well @Cookie but why didn't you succesfully reject them in America? And why do you think we could do so or more importantly how? Frankly speaking and don't tell anyone I have already rejected them for various reasons in the type of work I do.

Ok all very well @Cookie but why didn't you succesfully reject them in America? And why do you think we could do so or more importantly how? Frankly speaking and don't tell anyone I have already rejected them for various reasons in the type of work I do.

Because Americans are all talk and no act. The NEC can be amended at the local level but no one can or wants to convince idiot law makers.

You on the other hand could be more vocal.

I have not read all of this thread, most of the tech is over my head, I'm just a sparks. But we have just quoted for an electrical refurb of a private historic property recommending AFDD's to be used based on the belief that they will provide the highest possible level of fire prevention caused by an electrical fault. Was that a mistake?

I have not read all of this thread, most of the tech is over my head, I'm just a sparks. But we have just quoted for an electrical refurb of a private historic property recommending AFDD's to be used based on the belief that they will provide the highest possible level of fire prevention caused by an electrical fault. Was that a mistake?
Only if it has over priced the quote to such an extent that the quote is rejected.

Simply that you question the technology

You see, we can not , not publicly , not in any trade rag, nor at any convention, etc.

All the nay sayers here have been silenced

It's been grass roots , all on this god forsaken 'devil box' , for some it's been well over a decade. Others i know of have dropped out, because they've allowed their anonymity to slip.

US sparks often lament how the NEC has become some 'belief system'

And its the fact that most everyone is not up on tech which allows them to push something which appears to make sense.

So you're saying that the one who allowed his identity to be known was silenced? I find that hard to believe.

This is certainly an interesting thread and debate that I have no doubt will continue for a good while longer about a rather expensive piece of kit that the IET has foisted on us with the publication of the 18th edition with little real evidence and prior knowledge out there to support it's introduction.

This has only been compounded by the lack of information and knowledge available since the introduction of the 18th edition regarding the application and installation of AFDD's.
Since the mooted introduction the AFDD most of the information available seems to have a more negative bias than a positive one, and while the AFDD manufacturers are putting out what appears to be a positive attitude to the product they clearly have a vested interest when you look at the cost and it will certainly help their profits

From an on the ground engineering point of view how exactly do you fault find the cause of an AFDD tripping especially if it is a nuisance trip with no test equipment available to verify the operation of the unit, does an AFDD's ability to detect a fault degrade over time or if it detects a fault does that reduce it's future efficacy or do you just replace it, there seems to be so many unknowns and unanswered issues with this new piece of kit you have to wonder why the IET have jumped in feet first on this one

I'm still yet to be convinced that the AFDD will bring any positive benefits to installations in the UK with the information currently available and this thread is confirming my view at the moment

Reply to AFDDs are a massive fraud in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net