Discuss Am2 socket circuit help!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Adam95ye

New EF Member
Hi. I've got a resit for the Am2 in a month as I failed the socket circuit. The problem is, I'm not sure how ! I've drawn a quick diagram of the wiring they give you and how I would wire it.
The top drawing is the diagram they give you..

DSC_0013.JPG

D

Deleted member 26818

RFC
1) DB to 11,
2) 11 to 13,
3) 13 to 14,
4) 14 to 12,
5) 12 to DB.

Murdoch

Regular EF Member
Are we assuming this has to be a ring? With only 4 sockets, I would go with a radial .....

Bellendian

Regular EF Member
You seem to have changed the layout between what you were given, and what you wired? Might be as simple as taking spur from the wrong point, even if wiring was electrically sound?

Richard Burns

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
If you wired the circuit differently from the diagram they had provided for you, then this would indicate that you could not follow a specified wiring diagram and would cause you to fail.
No 12 being different seems to indicate a fused connection unit so I assume they wanted the circuit wired in accordance with the below diagram however the diagram posted above seems to indicate a non fused spur and just an FCU as part of the ring, but not matching either of your diagrams.
Ring Final Circuit FCU with spur socket.jpg

Murdoch

Regular EF Member
11 12 and 13 is a ring main. 14 is a spur
Useful information you should have included in the op .... And the type of circuit...

gazdkw82

Trainee
Trainee Access
Is that what they actually give you?

Was the writing below (DB-11 etc) part of what they gave you?

To me it looks like a small ting and a spur?

Strima

Electrician's Arms
One of the tested areas, as pointed out earlier in this thread, is following the design criteria. If you don’t follow it you fail.

Rpa07

4000 posts - only 54195 behind Telectrix!
Electrician's Arms
I watched that @Wilko - it did make me wonder about a couple of threads that have come in regarding heated and melted plug tops and socket outlets - could it be a fake fuse providing a ‘one bar fire’ in the circuit under a loaded condition - next time I tell you, next time!
I shall sacrifice one of every packet of fuses from now on to see if the silica sand pours out - if I’m careful I can put it back in an glue it together again!

Pete999

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
There is your 1st mistake it's not a Ring Main, it's a Ring Final circuit
Yes it is old Mate, but trainees need to understand circuit designation. things like calling a RFC a ring main, might be just enough to tip the balance in the examiners thought process, just saying.

Flash

Active EF Member
You failed as you haven't followed the diagram, they are given to you 1 to see if your competent and 2 to ensure you can follow diagrams, wiring diagrams and schedules etc as they also give you the wiring code ie 6242y so if you don't follow the instructions you fail.

TheCodboy

Regular EF Member
Lad I did my AM2 with failed his install because he used 1mm not 1.5. Like people are saying,it’s because it’s specified on the drawing that 1.5 is to be used. Follow everything to the letter. No deviations.

Scoob23

EF Member
Hi. I've got a resit for the Am2 in a month as I failed the socket circuit. The problem is, I'm not sure how ! I've drawn a quick diagram of the wiring they give you and how I would wire it.
The top drawing is the diagram they give you..

View attachment 43630
I did this today and wired it the same? Is that the diagram on the spec as I didn’t check either WHAT DID U ACTUALLY FAIL ON.

Strima

Electrician's Arms
I did this today and wired it the same? Is that the diagram on the spec as I didn’t check either WHAT DID U ACTUALLY FAIL ON.
The exterior socket IIRC is fed from a SFCU so should be a radial spur protected by a 13 amp fuse. Also the RFC was wired in 2.5/1.5 singles?

Scoob23

EF Member
Yeah that’s correct. Goes from dB to first socket then to the FCU then to the 3rd socket then returns to the DB load side of the spur is the outdoor socket

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 59 66.3%
  • Black

Votes: 30 33.7%

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.