• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Am2

Discuss Am2 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky92

Active EF Member
Hi everyone,

Im going to be doing my am2 in September, I'm very confident with the build. The only thing I can't get around is the live tests, what order do the live tests go in? Also some help on fault finding.

Cheers

jimi

VoltzElectrical

Electrician's Arms
the tests are listed in the on-site guide along with pictures. However, you should be familiar with testing as it was part of the 2330 level 3, in which you were also required to build an installation and test it.

Anyways, dead tests first,

1. Continuity of protective conductors (two methods).
2. Continuity of Ring Finals (3 steps).
3. Insulation resistance
4. Continuity of bonding conductors
5. Ze
6. PSCC/ PFC
7. Zs
8. RCD times
9. Function Tests.

And I just wrote that off the top of my head after 3 pints. And I could do well before my AM2.

It's all there in the books my young fellow. Why not ask the foreman to be put on a bit of testing before as it's one of those things where practice really does help.

Also. with fault finding, there are only a few things that can be wrong e.g. Fault of negligible impedance (short circuit L/E, L/N), Open circuit, etc.. They simulate faults that you can find and identify with a simple multi meter. All you have to do is describe the fault, the likely cause and how you would potentially rectify it.
4. Ze

Farmelectrics

Farmelectrics
Electrician's Arms
You can do a pre am2 were you go through everything worth paying out for just to get your over the last fence good luck

Guitarist

Electrician's Arms
It would be a better idea to buy a few books than have to ask fundamental questions on a forum...

GLENNSPARK

Electrician's Arms
the tests are listed in the on-site guide along with pictures. However, you should be familiar with testing as it was part of the 2330 level 3, in which you were also required to build an installation and test it.

Anyways, dead tests first,

1. Continuity of protective conductors (two methods).
2. Continuity of Ring Finals (3 steps).
3. Insulation resistance
4. Continuity of bonding conductors
5. Ze
6. PSCC/ PFC
7. Zs
8. RCD times
9. Function Tests.

And I just wrote that off the top of my head after 3 pints. And I could do well before my AM2.

It's all there in the books my young fellow. Why not ask the foreman to be put on a bit of testing before as it's one of those things where practice really does help.

Also. with fault finding, there are only a few things that can be wrong e.g. Fault of negligible impedance (short circuit L/E, L/N), Open circuit, etc.. They simulate faults that you can find and identify with a simple multi meter. All you have to do is describe the fault, the likely cause and how you would potentially rectify it.
4. Ze
you missed out polarity live mate..

E

Engineer54

Think we can forgive him that one minor omission, seeing as he was under the influence and all!! ...lol!

VoltzElectrical

Electrician's Arms
regularly get wrong polarity on the streetlights where the cable jointers take a 50/50 guess on the cores of the old lead cable. :61:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Sponsors

Electrician Talk

Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript![ ? ]