Discuss Amassing Power Tools advice in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

claret73

Need to start getting together some power tools as won't be able to rely on the Contractor for too much longer...
So am in need of some advice. Give consideration that I'm not going to be out lashing 300 odd quid here & there on each tool, I'm am considering used (ie EBay deals?)

I'm after the following:
110V SDS - Buying new, currently favouring Hitachi
Drill Driver, mainly for domestic at the moment but don't want to under spec on voltage but want a light one that's easy for overhead. (Going to be selling my Bosch Combi I think?)
Circular saw - Cordless??

Eventually will look at a cordless SDS, maybe to do all the things away from the heavy stuff which I'd have the 110V for and be free of cords...I quite like the Dewalt 24v from having used one in the past.

Obviously would like to keep continuity of brand so can swap batteries around...
Any advice welcomed...
Cheers

If cost is an issue at the moment then might be worth going to somewhere like hilti which do a contract hire type thing where can get all the tools want in a bundle deal for a set amount each month. Not sure on prices but heard are cheaper than think. Also have peace of mind if something goes faulty they replace straight away, usually same day. I always believe in buying good quality as it makes life alot easier and quicker.

The 110v SDS do you want 110v for site work?

If not then I would go to the sheds and get a 230v one for as cheap as possible. I always did this with apprentices who were starting out as yes it's great to have quality, but if a 40 pound SDS lasts you 6-12 months they are disposable.

If you are looking for light weight cordless stuff the you're looking at Lithium Ion as the older stuff weighs a ton in comparison.
I'm a Bosch man myself and the new stuff thats just been released looks top notch, claiming to be the smallest on the market for size

Last edited:
I have the bosch sds 36v drill its an amazing piece of kit i've had it 5 years and boy its paid back tenfold currently looking for a wall chaser and extractor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg anyone got any recommendations?

I have completely moved over to Bosch 24V cordless but not the Lit Ion stuff as it's extreamly expensive, even second hand. I managed to get my complete set up (2xSDS, 1xCombi 1xDrill 1xJigsaw 1xCircular) all for under £500 on ebay but you really need to pick your purchases carefully as there is plenty of usless stuff being sold.

110V - I have one of the old makita SDS with sds chuck and use it when the cordless stuff just can't manage, which to be honest isn't that often (even with 1m long 25mm masonary bit)

Wall chassing, cheap lightweight kango as you'll be holding it at around shoulder level and the lighter the better.

I personally prefer Bosch.
Getting all the same make with the intention of sharing batteries and chargers is a nice idea in theory and might work if you're using them across different types of tools, eg combi drill, jigsaw, angle grinder etc but for drills I'd get different sizes, eg 10.8v impact driver, 14.4v drill driver, 24v SDS (or 110v) so you wouldn't have the same size batteries, so it wouldn't even make much difference if you had different makes.

As much as I like Bosch they don't seem to make a reasonably priced drill with a 13mm chuck (for holesaws) so I'd probably get a different brand. I use a 14.4v DeWalt which is alright, although you could go for Milwaukee or even the 18v Lion Makita.

Reply to Amassing Power Tools advice in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net