Discuss Amendment 2 13 new changes! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yea good video with humour…big changes all those years filling out multiple forms & multiple Rcd tests…all gone ready for tick tick tick.
Why are they making our industry easier & easier for the less experienced sparks, & for those who don’t give a Damn what’s recorded.

With regards to type ’A’ RCD’s, I take it this now means on alterations and additions to existing systems any type AC rcd in place already is now non-compliant and has to be replaced

thats going to be a real pain for me, especially on older boards or rare/obsolete brands and you cannot mix and match either

If this is the case, a lot of people going to be pi£#ed off their year old AMD3 dual rcd board is now no good come September

I would think that it's not mandatory to replace an existing RCD, same as it's not manadatory to replace a plastic CU . Anything that you fit should comply with current regs., but even 3036 fuses only deserve a C3 provided they are in a safe working condition.

I would think that it's not mandatory to replace an existing RCD, same as it's not manadatory to replace a plastic CU . Anything that you fit should comply with current regs., but even 3036 fuses only deserve a C3 provided they are in a safe working condition.
In the case of me extending an existing ring circuit for instance Which has an existing AC type RCD in place, this would therefore not need replacing with a type A RCD?

Hope not

I just saw it as a bit of a different case regarding 3036 fuses as they are still considered compliant and suddenly it appears AC RCDs are not

So completing certification would be an issue? Or am I wrong on that

In the case of me extending an existing ring circuit for instance Which has an existing AC type RCD in place, this would therefore not need replacing with a type A RCD?
I would guess it comes down to the same sort of C3/C2 risk for a lack of RCD so for sockets inside the house that are not likely to be used outdoors then not a high risk.

Outdoor sockets protected by type-AC RCD that might be blinded but DC leaks from other household stuff - starts to be a concern.

I would guess the BPG & NAPIT guides will eventually have some agreed guidance for cases like that, they are usually treated a bit differently from a new install / CU change after all.

They aren't saying they are not compliant but unless the circuit has purely resistive loads then an AC type is likely to be ineffective so an A type is to be used, the latter is likely your only choice. Alterations to existing circuits is obviously going to be an issue unless the rcd/rcbo can readily be replaced.

Reply to Amendment 2 13 new changes! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net